Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Falling Through the ice

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Today one of the guys I was walking out on the ice with took the polar plunge, luckily it wasn't deep and he was able to roll out on his own, even though we spudded all the way, the ice still gave way with what seemed to be " good ice" What amazed us the most, as careful as we were there were at least 6 guys who jumped on the ice, crossed at will without using a spud and eventually figured out.. the ice wasn't safe, scary part, they crossed 10' of water unknowingly. So this is a heads up to those making the trek to Indian, Blackhawk has an area across the entire bay that has less than 2" as of Thursday noon, Moundwood was unsafe with about an inch on the edges, North Fork from the bridge on Long Island was unsafe and 2 large areas of open water from aerators,  Achesons was unsafe, Tilton Hilton was unsafe to get on and I'm sure there are more areas. We did find good ice from 4-7", but the fishing wasn't that great. Be safe all and spud your way out!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Man that’s scary!!   Glad everyone was ok!!   That’s why the towel, dry clothes, and shoes are so vital in the truck. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Well, I stayed dry today but someone else at Indian wasn't so fortunate. I'd feel sorry for him if I wasn't still so stunned by his actions. This guy walks out into the ice with his buddy. His buddy has a spud bar but is walking behind him. Mistake number 1. Then he proceeds to attempt to just stroll across a pressure crack where old ice in a cut meets newer ice on the main body of water.  Mistake number 2 and he went right thru. I'm not sure how anyone with any ice experience could think that was a good idea. If anyone doesn't know, if you see a spot where the ice is buckled up and has water sitting on top of otherwise dry ice, DON'T WALK ON IT!  I'm glad the guy got out ok and all, but he's got no one to blame but himself.  Lots of people out today with no safety gear visible. People don't seem to understand these are not ideal ice conditions, and safe ice should definitely not be assumed just because you see people on it. Stay safe out there. This snow isn't going to help things...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I know.  It’s crazy.   I watched guys walking around Nimi with no bars or anything.  Just walking all over.  Some places less than 2”.   I was watching and waiting to have to assist, but by some miracle nobody took a swim.   They were over 20 feet of water and had no spikes or float suits.   
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
there must have been alot of luck with them,   i see people all the time when im out  just assume they can stroll out like its the sidewalk.   walking the dog,  ect.......  i have made it out couple times this year and  i know the ice is skeetchy   being on the edge of 3  or 3.5 inch  , have had to zig zag out with spud bar.   i have gone swimmin 3 times  once i went under the ice and had to find the hole to get out, the other 2  just got waist  stuck.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar