Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Looking for a little help

Newtothegame

• View Profile
 Hello everyone, I am new to the game of ice fishing and am ready to give it a shot. I am
From the Marysville area and was thinking of trying Indian this weekend. I have heard reports of guys fishing out there and was wondering if the ice would be safe this weekend or where would be areas with safest ice. Just looking for a starting point and what to look for when trying to find a spot to fish. I have picked up quite a bit of gear with anticipation to get out there and am ready to get a line wet. Is there a depth that you’re looking for or what baits have been working good. I would love to pull a fish through the hole for the first time. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

toadfish

• View Profile
You might want to post this in the Indian Lake section to get a little more specific response. Good luck on the hard water!

For me, I like vibes, jigging raps and Swedish pimples for saugeye.  Small jigs with waxies or spikes for panfish.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I can't post a thing on  the Indian Lake page nor can I reply there, but I hope this helps you out. Indian Lake is very versatile lake when it comes to ice fishing , the most common place is Long Island for gills and crappie with some perch and saugeyes being caught there as well, another area is Blackhawk (aka) Lucy's  is an early ice hot spots at times, Moundwood was an awesome saugeye place in the 90's but it has it moments, slide around the corner to Dunns Pond and you can pick up all species of fish in that area, North Fork can be another good area to fish but you are in the wide open area and if windy, it can be a little brisk if you're not prepared for the cold. Safe ice.... this lake is very unpredictable and every place has its bad spots, there are allot more people using aerators around the lake and the docks that can be dangerous if you don't know they are there, so if traveling alone I would venture to Blackhawk, hook up with someone on the way out and they can show you how to get to Lucy's or you can fish the bay. Parking can be a SOB on this lake and with it being the weekend... all the small sweet spots will be taken before sunrise is my guess. Be safe, and have fun!

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
 Very nice report Wapak,  thats the kind of information I enjoy seeing shared. That report holds an abundance of helpful tips without to many specifics. VERY  nice job!!👍
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Vexilar