Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:49:46 PM

Author Topic: 2-14-2021 Report  (Read 2535 times)

toadfish

• View Profile
2-14-2021 Report
« on: February 15, 2021, 11:16:50 AM »

Broke a long streak of not hitting indian lake in winter.  Fished with a buddy all day with nothing to show for our efforts.  Moved a lot and marked a lot,  just no biters.  He had a 17 & 19" saugeye a few days ago.  I did get to quackpot and his wilcraft out there, pretty sweet setup.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

jiggerking

• View Profile
Re: 2-14-2021 Report
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 01:11:13 PM »

Been tough. I fished Fri afternoon and 2 good eyes and several shorts. Fished all day Saturday with 4 nice gills, 5 good crappies, and two more good eyes. I am really frustrated with the crappie hunt. I have only found good schools 2x this year. Some of my historically favorite spots are not paying out this year. When I did find them, 70% coming on plastics, and you had to be exactly on the edge of pad line.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 07:28:39 PM »

I've been on Indian almost every day for the past week and a half. While the saugeye bite has been less than spectacular, I've pulled at least a couple keepers almost every day, mixed in with a ton of shorts. Think I've only caught 1 limit.  Most have come on  small jigging raps. Caught fish on med size rattle spoons and a few on vibes also.
The panfish bite has been really good tho. Got limits of crappie Thurs and Sat and kept  27 Fri fishing a few hours after work. Some very nice fish too. I've caught 7 over 14 inches with the biggest going 15 1/8. Bunch of really nice gills mixed in also. The schools of crappie have been in really tight little groups. I'm not kidding when I say that you can be ten feet away from them and barely get a bite, move a little and knock 15 out of one hole. I've prob drilled 200+ holes this week trying to stay on them. Almost every fish has come on a small tungsten with a tiny pink tail and a spike. I have caught a lot right on the edge of the pads, but at times they've been right up in them.  Or out in front. I just keep drilling till I land on them. And I'm not fishing some secret spot. Been dozens of people around me every day. Good luck guys. Hopefully this snow isn't going to screw things up.

jiggerking

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »

I agree drilling is the answer. My issue is my mobility is somewhat limited as I had knee surgery late summer. Bout all I have to drag the sled when I get to a general area , and don’t then venture too far. I believe this to be a temporary 1 ice season issue. The tiny tails do the trick for sure, working up the column certainly drives action when I am on them. That’s the best thing about the vex, watching them follow it up.

I hear of more snow later in week. That will really limit my travels, but I’m going to be on the ice somewhere. Might have to break out the Polaris 850 but I hate to do that on these small lakes. I hate the noise.

Tanker593

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 03:38:03 PM »

We fished Sunday.  We caught a few in the LI area that I've been in for the past 3 weeks but they were real slow.  Not sure if we've spooked them out of there over the last few weeks.

magner34

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 10:51:45 AM »

I was also out this past Monday with not much to show. Fished LI right away and found a few gills and that was about it. I moved around a few times with drilling holes near, or on the pad lines and around brush piles as well. After I'd find a few on the flasher it was a tough bite. I may try a smaller plastic next time out. Did have a big one on a sweedish pimple for about 5 seconds and then just ran and snapped my line. I was bummed ha. It was pretty cool though sitting in the snow on the lake, not many were out there. Going to go with a buddy tomorrow and perhaps even Sat or Sun. Good luck this weekend!
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar