Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:36 AM

Author Topic: Indian Lake conditions  (Read 3757 times)

awittenmeier

• View Profile
Indian Lake conditions
« on: February 16, 2021, 02:21:20 PM »

I am a rookie ice fisherman. I was hoping to take my son-in-law ice fishing on Indian this Saturday.  Looking for suggestions on areas to fish and an ice condition report. Also if anyone is planning on going Saturday it might be nice to get to know some of you folks. I have followed the Indian Lake board for a while and am really looking forward to getting out on the ice since we have some this year.  Any and all help/information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy

jiggerking

• View Profile
Re: Indian Lake conditions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 07:28:52 PM »

I live 1 hour + from lake, so hopefully a local expert can weight in, but they got 10+ inches of snow and more on the way. Traveling the ice may be tough on foot unless it blows and/ or sinks down a bit. Easy access is Blackhawk. Tougher access but better fishing in my opinion is Long Island area and into the various channels.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 07:49:53 PM »

Ryan, who is one of our administrators, is doing some exhibitions on ice safety, etc and a tournament on Sat.  They will be at Blackhawk on Saturday morning. There should be several IFO guys around and they would be more than happy to give you some tips and point you in the right direction. I would definitely leave any unnecessary gear at home. Gonna be tough walking with this snow. I'm not sure if I'll make it up there before then or not, as i also live over an hour away,  but if I get out I will post ice/ fishing report. Stay safe out there.

30inthabucket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 07:16:16 AM »

I got done early at work on Wed and made the trip up. Was 3 o'clock by the time i got there, and i decided just to fish for eyes. Hit paradise point since it's a short walk and getting time for that spot to heat up. Fished an hour with one mark. Packed up and headed to north fork. It was slow. Got 1 small  wb and 2 short eyes . Was packing up at dark and had already dumped my bait, and finally caught a 17" keeper. Released him to get bigger.
There is a ton of snow on the ice and slushy spots. It is an absolute nightmare to drag a shanty.  Ice I checked was still prob 8 inches but with the snow on top and warming temps late week and next week, I'm not hopeful it will last a whole lot longer... Stay safe out there.

jiggerking

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 10:22:37 AM »

30 - Thanks for the update on conditions.  For me, this weekend may possibly be last shot based on the stated weather trends.  Now I need to figure out what lake and species to target.  I will have no choice but to break out the quad to get through snow as my leg don't work right normally, let alone in a foot of snow.

ICE COLD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:10:29 PM »

30, has was the parking at Northfork? I have a 2 wheel drive truck and have been parking along the road at Long Island at the second pull off but I heard they got a lot of snow. I live over an hour away and really don't want to drive that far tomorrow to fish and can't find anywhere to park. thanks.

30inthabucket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 03:12:51 PM »

I'd say a4 wheeler isn't a bad plan if you're going far. I'm sure there will be some paths beat down on the snow but its still some work, especially with a bum knee. And I'd hate to see you get out there and hurt it and then have to make it back...
As far as parking goes, there were some piles of snow that would make parking tough with a 2wd, but the state lots are plowed and I'm sure there will be some places flattened out by other guys. Should be doable. Good luck guys. I'm off to Saginaw

ice hole 2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 02:21:07 AM »

Assuming very crowded conditions at Indian, went to find a honey hole on Feb. 13.Decided to try Chippewa Park - boat ramp area. Met a guy in parking lot who had never fished Indian before. We decided to fish together.
I headed toward the main part of the lake.Saw raised ice where main part meets the boat launch area. Stayed well short of that knowing it's unsafe. He followed and wanted to fish main lake. Using his auger as a spud bar, punched thru the ice several times and then backed off. Figured his only way to get to the main was to go ashore around a big rock then move out somewhere else.As he tried to go to land and not using his auger as a spud bar, he went thru the ice just over his boots about 3 feet from shore. Got out in a few seconds, looked at me and said,"Don't go around the rocks".
We fished 3 hours - he on the main and me in the channel.Caught nothing but a 7" white bass. Forget Chippewa Park.
Moral of the story - One would think with all the cold temps, anywhere would be safe ice,right? 6" - 7" everywhere. Not true! Spud your way on and spud your way off !!!
My best friends are ice holes.

Allthumbs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 05:35:28 AM »

Fished Blackhawk yesterday. 6in of hard clear ice under the crust , slush & water layer on the top. Definitely spud your path out if you go. Water was very murky from all of the run off. Had to work for them but the work definitely paid off. A good day to end the season . Will head north the next few trips for solid ice.
Take the time to thank a Vet or Active if you enjoy your freedom to freely walk on water here in the great USA

ice hole 2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 08:21:05 PM »

Allthumbs - What species did you catch? Gills, I assume.
My best friends are ice holes.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar