Ice Fish Ohio Forum

mushrooms anybody ? wont be long

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well folks the temps are gaining and it wont be long before the mushrooms start popping. hopefully the morels will be plentiful this year.  about mid April  they start here ......
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

King-fish

• View Profile
Excited myself. I figure I’ll start finding blacks here in north central Ohio in about 10-14 days if the weather there calling for stay the same. Ground temps need to come up a handful of degrees for a week and they’ll be there like clockwork. Found first blacks here April 1st last year. I picked shrooms from April first until may 28th in area I hunt.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i just checked the ground temps around here in the falls and ohio, seems were around 40-45 deg    .    i see alot of half frees around here.   

King-fish

• View Profile
Yeah a lot of dog peckers where I hunt as well. Wont be long and it’ll be happening. Can’t wait

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
They have a good article in the april issue of Fur Fish Game on mushroom hunting. Wonder if you could train a dog to hunt for the them.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
this weather is lookin good , cant wait to get out and get some shrooms. i really love finding those giant morels , you know the ones the size of a pop can...   but ...last year i never seen so many folks in the woods,  i always see lots of trillium when out , i hope to find some more colored ones , white is the usuall. the half frees and blacks are soon,  even finding the pheasents and other fungi was tough, seems like when i did find a good stash and waited for them to grow poof   they were gone and i was looking at  stems where they were... ugh

Justanothericehole

• View Profile

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Same here!   I’ll be out in my woods soon.  Usually mid April I start seeing them.   I don’t seem to have a ton, but there’s a nice batch out here.   Can’t wait!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

King-fish

• View Profile
Black morels are starting here. Picked a few and left some others. Rains on the way as well. All looking good!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
aww  man mushroom pics starting up already   yes !!!    with these temps it should be an exceptional season,  and soon i can plant my  HOT peppers   

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep I’ll be prepping my garden next weekend and hopefully planting soon!!   
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
with the rains it should start something , im chompin to get out.  yeh joel  better till  before dirt turns to mud

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep.   This weekend went south on me.   Hoping to get it done next weekend now.   We’ll see.   :)

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
my buds went out and found some blacks......   its time , the ferns are starting and may apples are starting.  im hitting woods next few days again and see what i can find,,,  i hope to find some shaggy manes again , they stsrt to melt when ya pick them

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep!   I’m seeing the ferns and may apples in my woods too.   Might go looking tonight after work.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar