Ice Fish Ohio Forum

IFO Family Assistance Needed - Funny Story - Sat. 12/11/21

eyeshunter

• View Profile
Well Good Afternoon to those who are following IFO on-line.  I woke up early and since we had no dock tournament today at CJ Brown, I decided to get my stuff together and head over to Alum Creek Marina and do some dock fishing.  When the morning started out at 60 degrees, it just felt right.  The weather showed the rain had stopped and there was not going to anymore the rest of the day.  Well, with that said, I should have known better.  There was wind but it was nothing outrageous.

I started out with catching a perch and several bluegills from around 8am - 9:30am.  I moved around a bit and since I was not knocking it out the ball park.  But then I went to the end of the C-Dock/Gas Dock and landed 2 keeper crappies and 1 undersize crappie and some bigger blue gills.  Well the last crappie I caught, I was thrilled and didn't really pay attention to the time and how much the wind had picked up.  It was around 11am and the wind just howled and I watched a wall of rain start coming down from inside the Marina and heading straight at me.  But I could have sworn that the weather app said there was not going to be any rain and the winds were supposed to hold up till about noon.  The wind gusts was about 30 to 40 mph and I packed my stuff up the best I could, folded up my chair, zipped up my Vex FL8 and pulled up my rods. For those that know me, I tend to bring more than what I need for every situation.  So, I had my 7 rods with me, with multiple containers of jigs, measuring stick that I just bought at Bayview Baits at Rocky Fork, the Vexilar towel that I won as a door prize at Rocky Fork, etc... Also, I had my brand new Vexilar Tundra bibs on and was feeling just fine.

I ran down the dock and headed straight for the car in the parking lot.  The rain was flying side ways and you couldn't very far with the wall of rain.  The rain lasted about 15 minutes and I was just relaxing and enjoying the moment, and ready to get back out there.  The rain stopped and the wind died down to the way it was earlier.  That is when I looked out to the dock where I left my stuff, and the canvas pull wagon I had was no longer in sight.  I hopped out of the car and ran back down to the docks and that gut punch and kick in the balls feeling set in. I lost my wagon and all but one of my rods.  A sick feeling just came over me, and the realization most of my gear is sitting at the bottom of Alum Creek in the Marina.  The bright side of things, I had my Vexilar FL8 on the dock, my chair, minnow bucket, and my Gruv jig holder which I happened to throw in my Vexilar bag at the bottom, and my bait pucks were saved from the perils of the deep.  I honestly don't know how the wagon missed my FL8 and didn't send it down to the lake bottom.

This where I am asking for a favor, if someone has the tool or ability to drag the dock C at section 21, I think, and let me know if they can retrieve anything.  I lost a Jason Mitchell rod, a Fenwick rod, Shakespeare Rod, and 2 - 13 Rods and reels, and HT rod.  I had a small bucket that had items in it, but I figured that may be scattered all over the bottom.  Thank you to anyone who gives it a try and I appreciate the assistance.

Eyeshunter - Steve

ICE COLD

• View Profile
That sucks Steve. Hope you find your stuff. Like you said at least you didn't lose your FL8.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Wow.  That sucks. And I was mad when I lost 1 rod off the docks last year... I hope you get your stuff back. If not, message me and I can prob set you up with enough stuff to get you thru until you get more.  I've got more than ill ever need. Fyi rural king has really powerful magnets you can tie a rope to. They're like 10 bucks. Might be worth getting one and dragging it around that dock.
Good luck,
Aaron

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Same here!   That really sucks, but I have extra gear as well that can come your way if needed!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

fishingful

• View Profile
I would try a large weight with a big treble hook or get a large magnet off amazon with a rope. I would get in the water and dive for you but am a few hours away and even with a wet suit its a little late in the year.

eyeshunter

• View Profile
Thanks guys.  Bruce took an underwater camera and magnet on Monday.  And I knew someone who is a certified scuba diver, but he said there would be a lot of red tape and sign offs needed, so that idea was scrapped, plus the water is cold and cloudy.

Bruce could not see anything more just a few inches ahead and he did use a magnet and drag the bottom.  Nothing was seen or recovered from the wreckage.  I have begun the process of rebuilding my gear. 

Vexilar