Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1st ice

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I won't say the lake because I can't post on it, but I went out today for the 1st time this season, the bite was okay but really couldn't get to where I wanted so I decided just to catch the dinks, check my gear and reflect on years gone by as I stared out the shanty and watch guys and gals of all ages walk out on the ice ( 3-4" at best).  Two of my old reliables have passed, not dwelling on it, just remembering some of our fun or funny days, so, sorry for the long read. George, he was about 80yrs old, we left the house and man was it cold, windy and just plain nasty out, we got on the ice right before sunrise, George didn't like fishing out of a shanty, so even at 5-6 degrees, I roughed it with him, it was one of those days, dropped the vibe in and.. slam, 1 pig on the ice, 5 minutes in, within the hour I was already on 4 eyes and George had 2, I got my 5th and I noticed George was curled up in a ball obviously he wasn't fishing anymore, I walked over and the poor guy had snot running down his nose almost stringing to the ice, shivering like no other, I asked him, " George you ready to go home", he looked me straight in the eyes and said, " hell yes, I thought you'd never ask" I walked him off the ice, started the truck and got him inside, then I gathered up all our gear, tossed it in the back and we headed home. On the way there, George, with this cold wrinkled face, said, " Dan, you can have all my gear, I'm done with this, I can't take the cold anymore"  I tried to give it to him when we got to his house but he had none of it..... I hung his gear up and retired it as well...

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
man i know how he feels, with the ice being shitty for a few years and me gettin older(70)  its getting tougher each year to get my butt out there. this year may be the straw.  crap
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
You’re still young Rik!  Don’t give up now!   ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i might have to get me a goat to drag my stuff joel,   the longer i do this the more junk i drag out  hhaahahah....hope you can get out this year ... ice dawg has it goin on   hahahaha     

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  I’ll get out for sure.  I have good days and bad days.  Sometimes I feel totally fine and other days I get winded getting dressed.   It’s just so weird.  But you can bet I’ll be pulling gear all over on those good days!   ;D
Maybe just lighten the load a little! ;)
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Justanothericehole

• View Profile
Good times out there you just have to get out there! I try to get out as much as i can when we have ICE and while im able. The goat idea i like that ;D
 Was watching a video on YouTube that a guy had modified his boat,  the motor was  connected to a saw blade and that was his ride out..lol see link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrG13DAGA3s

Hope to meet some of you guys this year, I usually fish the wing and moggy. If ice is good i might head to mosquito this year never ice fished there. I have a frabill Fortress hub style.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
thats funny  because i saw 2 guys had a rubber wheel on an outboard turned sideways on a little flat bottom, man they were havin fun

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I’m planning on my first trip Monday.  Did scouting yesterday and nothing quite ready.  And have work through Saturday.    But I’m loaded and ready for Monday.   

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar