Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Grand Lake 1/17/22

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
I checked around the lake yesterday and only found a couple other fishable areas. There were a few guys out at the sail boat club. Some spots had hollow ice with about 2” of air between the ice and the water. So I went to Loramie for a few hours and caught a bunch of gills and a few crappie. Can back to the Grand in the evening and Finally found about 3.5” on the south side and caught around 50 gills. No crappies. I just can’t figure them out. But I was catching gills as fast as I could get my bait down to them. Good luck!

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Went back out on the southside today and couldn’t get a mark where I was catching gills yesterday. Moved a couple channels over and had marks everywhere. I assumed they were shad. After a little coaxing I finally got them to bite and they were crappie!!! I’ve been ice fishing for 15 years, this is my first year with a vexilar and I have never caught this many crappie through the ice in one day. I don’t think I would have caught a single crappie today without it.

toadfish

• View Profile
I am glad you found some crappie in the channels.  With the lake level dropping faster than the thermometer, I figured the crappie would be in open water.  A vexilar is an awesome tool for letting you know the fish are there and their reaction to your lures.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

braypatt

• View Profile
That's great to hear about all the crappie you caught. What were the conditions like? How many inches of ice

Vexilar