Ice Fish Ohio Forum

finding propane ?

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
last year was  tough finding propane bottles  in the 1 lb ,   usually fill my own but this year i will just buy some .  lol   i need the new tanks  hahahah..   hopefully the problem doesnt happen this year  ...   since the ice ice better this year  i actually feel like putting the effort in to go fishin    hahahaha    hows the propane situation out there guys, with these temps ya can burn thru  a couple tanks a day , i do...i like it warm in my shanty  hehehehh    i have 2  buddy heaters   one single and a double w/  fan  ....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Besquick

• View Profile
The Walmart at North Canton had none on the shelves, but a pallet of doubles in the aisle. Luckily I saw them and grabbed a few! Hopefully you have the same luck!

fishingful

• View Profile
Marks had some at 8 bucks a pop. Wal-Mart is hit or miss. Gone as fast as they come in. I refill also but dont run them through the buddy. I only use that when the wife comes out. I use my focus 3 or 5 and can run refills through that.

floater99

• View Profile

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yep  just picked up at wally world for 9 $  2 for that  and a single  and they tried to charge me 10$  for the single,  not   she even said i could go back and get the other 2 pack  for 9$     not    sold me the single for 1/2  like a good retailer.   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Justanothericehole

• View Profile
I buy them whenever i see them so i have a few double packs ready to go for this weekend.

Fishfeeder

• View Profile

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
We have a big dumpster at work and I put them in there.  I have wasting them and I want to try to find a safe way to refill them, but haven’t find anything I’m confident of. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

kickn ice

• View Profile
A few years ago I bought a 5lb refillable propane tank for around $50. Best thing ever for ice fishing. I was tired of dealing with the stupid green bottles, and paying 5x the price. It also comes in handy if your big tank runs out when you're grilling.

FallsOnIce

• View Profile
I started stocking up since summer. I had a hard time last season finding some. Lowes and Home Depot usually have them in stock.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How does the 5 pound tank work?   Is there an adapter to attach it to the Buddy heater?   It’s designed to screw the 1 pound bottles in.  I carry 5 of them, so weight isn’t an issue.  Just curious about the connection, if there’s a hose that will adapt. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

kickn ice

• View Profile
Yeah, they sell a hose with the correct ends. Search 20lb to 1lb propane hose.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Awesome!  Thank you!

Team Wilcraft!

Fishfeeder

• View Profile
I'll ask again since i have several, how do you dispose of the 1lb tanks.

Fitzman

• View Profile
Rather than throwing them away, I re-fill and re-use my 1 pound tanks.  I bought an adapter that fits on a 20 pound tank.  I screw it securely onto the big tank and then turn the tank upside down and screw a small tank onto the other end of the adapter.  Then, I open the valve on the big tank and it fills the little tank.  It only takes about 30 seconds to fill.  Then I close the valve and remove the small tank and cap securely with a brass cap until ready to use.   Then I screw on another 1 pound tank, open the valve and repeat the process until they're all filled. This saves a lot of money and isn't too challenging.  I usually do about 12 at a time and have never had a problem.  They don't get 100% full, but they get pretty close.

I bought brass caps for the 1 pound tanks just so I can make sure that they can't leak if there are any problems with the internal valves.  It's not a necessity, but I feel it adds a measure of safety .

If you do this the absolute most importnt thing to remember is DO IT OUTSIDE with plenty of ventillation and no ignition sources nearby.

Vexilar