Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Fishing etiquacy 101

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
A rant and a question, I show up at the lake today with about 3hrs of fishing time, I go to my favorite spot and no one is there and no tracks in the snow, so I've got my honey hole to myself... or so I thought. I got my gear out, walked out and a truck pulled up, 3 guys get out of the truck as I start drilling my 1st hole, I always drill about 8-10 holes in a straight line at different depths. I get done with the 8th hole and start cleaning them out, I no sooner get the first 4 holes cleaned out and these 3 guys jump on the first 3 holes I cleaned out, the dude actually walked out there and said to his buddies, hell here's open holes, good place to start, I turned and told them I just cleaned them out, the dude replied quickly and said," thanks" . Rant over... question to all, would you drop in uninvited or drill your own holes. I've been doing this over 40yrs and this was a first for me

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Manners and good sense are in short supply these days. Not much you can do but shake your head and go on with your day...

Justanothericehole

• View Profile
Wow yea that is pretty ballsy :o...Idk how i would handle that, You did good.. prob better than i would.
agree 100% with 30..

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
that was a trash move for them,  just to walk up and claim those holes for themselves.  they knew that they were being assss  wipes.. you did better than me handling that , crap if they asked i would have offered to drill them some holes, being the dumb assss i am i may have peed in a cup and proceed to pour it down those said holes and smiled as i walked awayy . 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Haha!  That is such a D-bag move it’s crazy!!!   No way they didn’t see you.  Would’ve been totally different if they ASKED, do you mind if we fish this same area?   And then drilled their own holes a safe distance away.   I’d have kicked them out, or played my Bluetooth speaker so loud all fish would’ve been spooked out.  I don’t mind someone fishing fairly close to me, as long as they’re polite and ask.  I had a guy on OSP yesterday, I was the only one there to start oddly enough, come out by me and ask if I cared if we fished close.  He set up maybe 20 feet away and we had a nice conversation about bad knees and ice fishing.  ;D  But to just bulldoze someone’s spot is horse crap. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Could have said yeah takem, then proceed to drill 30 holes around them  and say good luck.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
There are many ass..... in this world and you just met 3 of them. Not the type of "ice fishermen " we need. Snowcone had the right idea,piss on them!!!!!
My best friends are ice holes.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
On second thought, if you left the ice before they did, leave the air out of one or more of their truck tires depending on how pissed off you feel. Childish move ? Maybe. But nobody gets injured and no damages done. Just leave them with a huge inconvenience !! You would have a good trip home with with a huge smile on your face. ;D ;D ;D ;D
My best friends are ice holes.

toadfish

• View Profile
The only time i have fished holes that i have not drilled was either after asking or if they had left the area.  A flat tire would have served them right.  Many fisherman simply have to etiquette anymore.

I have have someone drill holes close enough to the shanty a friend and if were.fishing in that he was brushing the walls while drilling.  This was on a flat, not a weed edge or break.😠
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeh its funny if they see one shanty they figure thats where theres fish...loll    and next theres a new zip code started... fisher people  used to be the happy smmily faced,  now days its hooray for me and ....you know.   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar