Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Early Ice?

Besquick

• View Profile
I hope I don't jinx it, but it looks like we may be getting a Christmas gift of an early start to the ice season this year??

toadfish

• View Profile
Forecast does not look good at the end of the month, warm and rain.  Those conditions will eat up any ice we get pretty quick. >:(
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Besquick

• View Profile
That would be very unfortunate. Cross our fingers the forecast will change? The sled has been packed and waiting to go since the end of November, I have that ice fishing itch ;D

toadfish

• View Profile
I have the itch too.  I hope the forecast is right for the cold coming but not the rain and warm Temps.  Fingers crossed while doing a cold dance!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
For sure!   I hope we don’t get all the snow up to the north Friday.  That’ll really slow ice production down. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Evinrude58

• View Profile
The 50-60 mph winds will put more of a damper on ice forming than the snow. Ice doesn't form real well in 2 footers.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That is true as well!!  That wind will be a killer.   Didn’t realize it was going to be that windy. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Evinrude58

• View Profile
OSP is locked up and Nimmy is 95% locked up and Moggy is from pics I seen locked up so the wind shouldn't be a major problem.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice!  Drove by Nimi today and saw that.  Got my bait all stocked up at Eddie’s.   
Next week looks awful starting Thursday, but I think with the cold this weekend, we’ll definitely get a few days beginning to middle of next week. 

Team Wilcraft!

Besquick

• View Profile
Yeah, hopefully we'll at least get a taste Monday and Tuesday, would be nice to have some consistent weather, but then I remember where we live lol! 50 degree temperature swings in the winter are normal....

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed!   I’m shooting for Tuesday-Thursday starting at OSP and I’ll see what’s locked in from there.   

Team Wilcraft!

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Well I was wrong. The wind tore Nimmy apart as it is now 90% open. Am going to go up Saturday to check ice conditions, should be a couple areas that should be good.

Besquick

• View Profile
What about CLR? Since moggy freezes so easily would it be good on Monday? I work Tuesday so Monday's about the only day I can go

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That really sucks.   Carl, can you check OSP as well?  I would, but am doing stuff with family today and tomorrow.  Thanks!!

Team Wilcraft!

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Nimmy  still has lots of open spots. Checked c1, S Main and both have 2 inches near shore but open spots out farther. Campground shore line crap as always but better a couple feet out. Was alone so I didn't go father out. Suprised but cove south of S Main was half open, thought with winds out of the west it should have been good. OSP was all froze. Checked by the boat house and spud went in with one good hit, but my spud can do that thru and inch and a half. Figure Campground and OSP should be good Monday.

Vexilar