Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:05:17 AM

Author Topic: Long Island  (Read 3075 times)

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Long Island
« on: December 18, 2009, 06:32:15 PM »

1st Ice in Central Ohio means a trip to Long Island- IL. I have heard from others though, that this year is a bit different as water levels are down about 18 inches changing much of the dynamic of our first ice haven. The bigger fish are deeper- in not as safe areas. I will be there tomorrow to check it out. Please stay tuned to these posts as I have heard from the best that it may not be worth a trip this weekend.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Re: Long Island
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:37:35 PM »

Feel a bit weird replying to my own post before others do..anyways was at Long Island (second pull off) 2.5-3 inches (4 inches not found as earlier reported in the week) Ice is slushy- lots of stuff on top. Should freeze in the next couple of days. Was only 2 other guys fishing by the time we left (5pm) and everyone was saying the same thing- catching tiny gills every once in a while. Biggest we caught was a 7 inch gill my newbie mentored guy caught- he was excited. Was really surprised how no one was out there. I guess there was a lot more in the morning and on Friday- poor fishing and weakening ice conditions must have drove them all away.

4 fish in 3 hours ...1st time out this year...1st time out ever for my buddy.
Had fun. and most importantly -..got to ice fish in December:)
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Long Island
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:33:08 PM »

You're either a heck of a salesman or your buddy has a serious pair of stones! His first time out was on poor ice and he still caught fish! I didn't get your message until about 4 and we were on our way to a family get together. Great that you got out! I think the snow and standing water on the ice is a big deterrant for people, it was for me.

Don't worry I'm sure we'll get together at some point this winter
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown