Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Fishing equipment cost???

hang_loose

• View Profile
Hi, first post and just found this site. Anybody have a $ figure on starting up for a first timer. I'm talking the poles to the single or double person tent shanty?  Also these will be used mostly in the backyard on a 1/2 acre pond.

Thanks for your time...

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
u dont need much to get started, auger 50.00, and ucan buy a pole and lure kit at bait stores for around 20.oo so u can start for under a 100, if u like it than u could move into more advanced equip. i probley have under 1000.00 in my arsenal.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Hang Loose,

Thanks for joining us. Since it sounds like you can go back in the house to warm up than you need the very basics.

I would recomend the Clam Shelter that just pops up like a tent,$149.00. This will keep the wind of of you. We should have one at our demo day on the 16th to try out.

You can pick up a spud bar on craigs list or someone you know might have one. They can be used not only for safely checking the ice but can be used to make holes. You should have one anyways for ice checking. If you hit the ice in front of you and it goes through on the second hit than back up and look for better ice. 

Mora hand auger can be purchase for $50. Depending on your budget i would get the laser for $89.00. It cuts way faster.

If you need a heater than i would get the Mr Buddy. Its the little one and they can be found on sale a lot at walmart. I think they run around 89.00.

Please check out our Jason Mitchell Rod and Reel Combo's  online. These are premier rods and you can find cheaper rods out there but will sacrifice quality. I would recomend the panfish rod and reel combo.

Depending on where you live i might be able to save you the shipping. If your near Indian Lake than you can Visit Le Vans Bait store on 235. He has the combo's and Augers there.

Besides a good pair of boots you would be ready to go.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

hang_loose

• View Profile
Thanks Guys, I'm going to try to be at one of the demo days.

Cool site!!!

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nice to have you here Hang Loose,
    The guys are right, you do have a lot of options as far as the type and quality of equipment you buy. You can get very cheap jigging rods in packs that don't have a reel on them. These are a cheap alternative, but remember you're getting what you pay for. My father in law uses them on his 1 1/2 acre pond and doesn't need anything more than that, however, if you get into a big fish (3lbs or more) you don't have a lot of margin for error when you're playing them in by hand. The other option is to buy a couple of rods that will be compatible with a small ultralight reel, I like the Pfleuger Trion UL because it's durable and I can use it for panfishing in the summer... don't forget that your ice rods are great for jigging docks in the soft water season.
Also you can pick up a set of tip-ups for very cheap... I recently got three in a pack for $10 at Outdoor World, but I have some that are upwards of $20 a piece that I use at my father-in-law's place.
As far as the Shanty... if you can go in your house to warm up you'll only want something basic, when I was a kid we actually used refrigerator boxes, and I have heard other people say this too. I will however be bringing my Clam Expedition to the Indian Lake event that has been rescheduled for mid January. You'll be able to see the advantages of the shelter and you can come in and fish for a while with my stuff if you want.
The auger is by far the most important thing for you to be concerned about when you're getting started. You'll want to be able to bore a big enough hole for whatever species you're after, but keep in mind that (Bigger hole = More labor)
I use a Strikemaster Mora with a 6" diameter, I had a 7" before and this one is plenty for me. I got it for $60. The next step up in the Strikemaster line is the Lazer and it's basically a $20 jump in price. They have a better blade system, but for me it wasn't something that I felt I needed.
Lures are pretty simple. Anything that you've used for panfish that has a small profile is good for those same species in the winter time. If you want to go for something bigger you can usually just change the bait you're using (hook size allowing.)
On ponds I almost exclusivly use small panfish jigs tipped with waxworms, spikes, maggots, or mousies. Don't be afraid to load the hook up!

Good fishin'

RatherBe
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

let it freeze

• View Profile
Get some type of sonar there are all differant brands out there.I have a lowrance 67c icemachine I can also use it in the spring time as well.It cost around $300.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
if you are patient and watch craigslist you may find someone who dinot take to ice fishing and find a good deaql like i did two years ago the down side is it may take a drive to get there. Sandusky Cleveland southbend and chicago all have equipment on a regular basis.

Vexilar