Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Crappie size and catch limit?

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I was at a local bait shop today and the owner told me that on March 1st there will be a new law that says crappie must be 9 inch's or more and you are limited to 30 per day. I'm going to do some research but I was wondering if anyone else ad heard this.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

let it freeze

• View Profile
Yes it is true The size limit is ineffect as of Jan 1st.

Team Mac

I have heard about this and i think it is a good idea...I saw people last sping taking bucket fulls of big crappie out of lake laramie and they would fish everyday all day so they could do this...I even heard a few people say "this is my third or fourth bucket today" I think it is long overdue for this kind of limit...I dont keep more than 15 or 20 fish and they have to be BIG...

God fishing

Scott and Andrew

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I also think its a great idea. I have noticed some off the places I fish the the numbers and sizes are down from 10 years ago. Its the same with the perch also. I am all for helping bring back the numbers and size to where they were when I was a kid so when my son gets a little older he can have just as memorable fishing trips as I had.

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
i agree with the new limit, ive seen people around me keep 6'' crappies and maybe even smaller, theres not even a bite there! although i agree i also think theres nothing wrong with keeping and eating fish, i was raise on fish and wild game and am raising my son on the same, the kid already outgrows cloths in couple of months and doesnt need steroids and hormones to help him grow any faster. alum has had these size limits for a while and because of this i have caught some monster size crappies and theres never a problem catching keeper size crappie on alum, the limits 9'' but i dont keep them unless their over 10'' and i always come home with a meal or two. these limits are a good thing and will assure great fishing in ohio in the future for my son to raise his kids on.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

let it freeze

• View Profile
I usally stop at 15-20 that feeds my family of 3.Thatway the wife lets me go out more often.Just kiddn she lets me go 95% of the time.Any more keepers your cleaning all nite.I want to go to bed early and get up early to fish again the next day.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
i hear that my fishing partner expects me to catch the fish, clean them, then fry them up for him, (u know who u R )
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I think it is a sort of good idea lol I thought it was may though
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I talked to a Div. of Wildlife officer today and he said the new regulations will be in effect on March 1st for Nimisila, East Reservoir, West Reservoir, Long Lake, North Reservoir, Springfield Lake, West Branch, Atwood, Berlin, Clendening, Leesville, Milton and Tappan

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
i checked the dnr site and i dont think this applies to indian lake
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

let it freeze

• View Profile
To be on the safe side stick with the 9in size to protect your ass no matter where we fish.I thank that all bodys of water should have the same regs.that way we have more time to fish than read regs.all the time.

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
i would'nt keep any smaller than that anyway.  i like the limits on size and numbers. helps every fishery its instituted on
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Keeping the biggest fish in the pond isn't alays good for the fishery either- plus the meat doesn't taste as good on the older fish. This is more typicl for preditor fish like bass but even large Crappie can control the circle of life and keep gills from stunting.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

joshua

• View Profile
We should all police our selves anyways even if there is no limits who needs 3-4 buckets full of fish in one day i would rather keep enough to eat and be able to fish for more tomorrow

Vexilar