Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Baitcast style or spinning reels

Poll

Which style of reel do you prefer and why?

Baitcast reel
2 (15.4%)
Spinning reel
9 (69.2%)
Other
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I was out fishing today and I got to thinking about the different types of ice fishing reels there are. I was wondering which you all prefered.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I prefer the baitcast style. I fish in a lot of shallow water and I just pull the fish up by hand. They are small and dont get tangled as much as spinning reels do in my bucket. Now when i fish deep water I use my spinning reels.

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I also fish shallow water more often than not, but I certainly prefer spinning reels as they allow me to hole the reel in the palm of my hand with my thumb and forefinger grasping the top of the rod handle. Not only does this combat fatigue, it also allows me to deliver gentle taps to the top of the rod with my forefinger that give my lure a light twitching effect.

In the end it boils down to whatever you're most comfortable with.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

joshua

• View Profile
in shallow water i like the cheap $5 poles with the wheel for a reel they are light and you just pull the line by hand anyways but in deeper water i like spinning because i have never used a baitcaaster for anything but catfishing

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I have one of those round wheel tiny rods- have had it since 1995 - call it my old faithful.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I still have my old schooly reels. I havent used them in a while. Maybe I should take it out this evening.

joshua

• View Profile
check your line if is old don't want to hook a big one and break off

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I like spinning reels because they are easier for me to work 1 lb line with.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Green Hornet Strikes Again! Gotta love old school
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff