Ice Fish Ohio Forum

corn hole

polarbear

• View Profile
this i used up at indian lake and it seemed to work. If you like to sight fish bring a bag of shuck corn and put a hand full in the hole the corn shows up well on the bottom and you can tell if there is a fish between the bottom and you . It seems like the fish sometimes are attracted to the corn to. its worth a shot. good luck polarbear

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have seen in Michign on clear lakes that the old timers would crush up egg shells and put them down their holes. The falling shells would attract fish to their holes. Never tried it here in Ohio.

David
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Erie Tom

• View Profile
You can buy crushed oyster shell (  grayish white) at a feed store. This works also and sinks  at a faster rate than egg shell. Egg shell might drift a little to one side or the other.

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
A friend of my grandpas used to go around the edge of the lake in the summer and pick up all the shiny shells. Then while ice fishing he would drop a few shells in the hole each time he caught a fish. He said that the shells fluttering down while he was unhooking his fish would keep them around until he got his jig back in the water. Ive never tried it myself but it soulds like it would work. Of course thats also more weight in the sled too.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
All of these ideas seem like good ones I should possibly try.
Maybe one day when I get my things together good enough.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
For years, I used Oatmeal the same way.  Can't really say whether it helped my ice fishing results or not.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

ice phisher

• View Profile
Amazing at what goes around....comes around.....Old timers used to use "navy beans" dried ones of course.....to back-lite fish in shallower/clearer waters.....First time I fished with them (old timers) and used this was in 1959........Man!!!!!!!!Have I really been at this that long....
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
We used the oyster shells in Brushy Creek in Iowa this past weekend. we were in 22 fow and could see 12-15 feet with a camera the shells seemed to attract the fish but no bite. Dave

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah ive used rice at lake erie perch fishin it does seem to keep them riled up,and i used fish food in the hole ice fishin or crumble bread crumbs into the hole but i dont tend to give the fish my sandwich ,although i have cut up a pop can and put it on top of my coleman lantern and cooked my catch on the spot... :)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar