Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Atwood Lake Ice Report

freakofnature13

• View Profile
Checking Ice today..Will post ice conditions and if possible a fishing report later today.

freakofnature13

• View Profile
Ice is locked up at the community hole out in front of the point.. "yacht club" area. Ice was 2 to 4 inchs depending where i drilled. STAY AWAY from the channels. its very thin!. I was prepared to go in wearing my neoprene waders and a life jacket and my spikes along with my spud bar. even after finding what seemed to be around 3 inchs of clear ice i kept all my safety gear on. I ended up catching around 25 crappie from 1245 to 230. only 1 keeper at 11 inchs and plenty of 5 to 6 inch crappies.. one was around 8 inchs.. I also caught 2 channel cats over 15 inchs and 2 white bass lots of shad were in the area. also had one heavy fish snap my line 2 ft from the hole.. assuming it was a big cat. had my hands not got cold i would have taken more pictures and better ones at that. I would advise anyone who is inexperienced with ice fishing or with the lake to take a partner. and if the ice doesnt look good its not good. use caution with early ice. I fished in 11fow.. most of the active fish were in the column from 5 to 10. Minnows and waxworms will do the trick. i used gold and chartruese colors today since the water was stained (normal for atwood).

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Freak,

That was one of the best reports I have ever seen on this site. You covered location, depth,time,safety and pictures.

It made me want to go and fish there today.

Thanks a lot!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That is a great post!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Great report Adam.  Now I know how to change mine to do a better job.  Hoping to get out Monday afternoon or Tuesday.  I have your number and if I can go I'll call you and maybe we can get together and ice some fish.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar