Ice Fish Ohio Forum

vexilar troubles

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
need some advice on this. my vex has served me faithfully. i've had it for a long time, still with the original battery. i was gonna get a new battery, but the ice came early, so i thought i'd use the old battery till after Christmas. fished a new lake yesterday for the first time. was pretty cold when i started, about 7 degrees, and i drilled holes looking for deep water. found a spot i thought i'd try, but only 9 feet deep. i had to use the  low power mode, (seldom do , usually fish 15- 20 fow). it would mark fish, but not my jig. i had to run the gain clear up. 100 % charge when i started. after about 4-5 hours, the charge light went to 50%. got home and was gonna let it warm up before i charged it for today, and in 1/2 hour, the battery gage said 100% charged. hooked it to the charger, charged it till the light came on, like the manual said. went out today, fished shallow water again on low power. it would mark fish, and big baits sometimes, pimples, jiggin raps, but small panfish jigs it wouldn't show. i can see how battery age can affect charge life, etc, but if i can mark fish and not my jig, am i having transducer issues?

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Having to gian-up like that makes me thinks it's probably the transducer.... I think you're on the right track.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It sounds like your battery is to blame for the charge going so fast if the battery is a 12 volt 7amp after 4 or 5 years it a good bet you should get a new one also if you do get a new one I take mine out of the case in the off season and run it in my pool  for an hour and then clean it with tap water and charge it over night  keeps battery at tip top shape and they last a little longer. as far as the transducer ratherbe is up on all the technical stuff and knows his stuff hey hope this helps I don't go on the ice without my vexilar
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I had an FL-8 that I bought used a few years back and had a similar issue with it. I at first assumed it was the battery because it wouldn’t last as long as my buddies FL-8se. I purchased a new Cabelas battery for it, it lasted a few hours longer but still nothing like my friends. I used it in that condition for the rest of the season assuming that the battery and my unit was far inferior to the newer Vexilar equipment.
 The next season starts up and I was ill prepared and didn’t get a new battery and to my good fortune my buddy drops his on concrete the first day and destroyed his head unit and battery, but the rest of his pro pack was good! To make a long story short swapped my unit into his setup and just switching the transducer fixed it!
If you know someone with a Vexilar, swap transducers it might fix it?
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I would give Vexilar customer service a call. These guy's are great and will know what it is right away. It could be the battery which you can purchase from them or Batteries plus in Columbus carries the size you need for the vex as well.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar