Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Berlin 12/20

Apex · 4 · 4235

Apex

• View Profile
Got on the ice about 11am. Had 3" of clear ice in the first spot but no luck. Moved down to the roadbed and had 2.5" - 3" of good clear ice. Had the life jacket on the whole time just to be safe. There were a dozen other guys out but only saw a couple keepers on the ice for the whole day and a few throwbacks. Fished between 15-20 FOW. Rolled a few fish but came home empty handed. I talked to a few of the other guys and they were fishing 12 - 15 FOW. I think the lake needs a bit of time still before the fish turn on. First ice last year was in January. Still was nice to be fishing either way.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the update.  Hoping to go friday.  Couldn't make it today, had to split wood all day.  Better than a gas bill. :)  If you get out again please keep me posted, as I have to work tomorrow and Thursday, if there is no activity I will try some other lakes I know and target crappies or bluegills instead of walleyes.  What were you using?  Vib-es tipped with a minnow head or something else?  If you don't mind my asking.  The vib-es worked great last year, especially the firetiger color, got some over 28 inches.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

freakofnature13

• View Profile
fished berlin on 12 20... met apex predator there..very nice guys and knowledgeable..fished the spots he mentioned and ended up at the roadbed.. just north of it a few hundred yrds... managed 2 shorts 1 around 9 inchs and one around 12 inchs.. and rolled 6.. also snagged a big shad around 10 inchs. just couldnt get em to fire.. most of the action i had with the shorts and rolled fish seemed to be between 130 and 330..I didnt chart much after 330 and the fishing slowed i mainly fished in 20fow. I switched colors and sizes of vibees constantly one fish on a gold 3/16 and 1 on a firetiger 3/16.. ice was very thin.. closer to 2 inchs then 3 inchs.. clear ice but thin.. use every safety precaution you can if you decide to venture out anywhere sloe to main river channel.. Life jackets..spikes for boots.. and hand spikes.. rope and take a buddy. dont be afraid to ask someone how thick the ice is.. and stay on the trail.. and a lil something at berlin that ive noticed is everyone leaves at the same time after the evening bite... its not safe to be out there at night and especially by yourself. good luck everyone.

Apex

• View Profile
I tried different lures and different colors. With and without whole minnows and minnowheads. Just couldnt get much action on anything yesterday. And hello to Freak, Im sure Ill see you somewhere again.

Vexilar