Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Sunday 01/2/11 Drive-by ice check of Portage Lakes

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
... will most likely take a drive around Portage Lakes to see if the cold temps last night locked up all rain & melted snow from the last couple of days.

Mostly interested in Turkeyfoot, Mud, East & Nimisila... but will drive by some of the others.

May even take a spud bar to check it out.

Will post my findings later today, 1/2/2010

If good, I plan on drilling holes Monday morning.. most likely Turkeyfoot or Nimmy.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
im curious of how the ice is. Im going to try and get out and do some checking tomorrow. BE SAFE
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sunday 12:30 - 1:30 Drive-by check

Nimisila: 1 guy at Campground Bay
East: Nobody
North: Nobody
Long: 1 Red Shanty at the North End
Miller: 1 guy out from the houses
Turkeyfoot: Nobody
Mud: Nobdoy
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Knew as soon as I woke up and saw the sunrise with clear skies and full sunshine it wasnt going to be great day on the ice.  Even so, I went to Turkeyfoot as planned. Set up my 6 tip-up with minnows and starting fishing & jigging for panfish.

Right off the bat, I landed this nice perch... thought the day might turn out better than expected, but that catch was a false alarm.  Managed to catch only 9 fish and bring 8 home... 3 Crappie, 1 Perch, 3 Gills & 1 Sunsfish.

Fished 8:00 am - 12:30 pm Never caught a fish on the tip ups

Ice was solid 4'-5"... Slick as a mirror. My feet went out from underneath me and I busted my ars on it... Luckily, no damage.  (I didnt realize that one of my boot cleats came off while sitting in the shanty... found out too late).

Here's a pic of the perch.

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Nice Fish. Im going to have to get over there soon.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Vexilar