Ice Fish Ohio Forum

First time ice fishin Mosquito can i get some tips

fisherman250

• View Profile
this is the first year i'm gonna try gettin on the ice always wanted to but never had the time.  I'm stocked up on a good selection of vibees, cicadas, Swedish pimples, jigs, etc... i'm just lookin for some spots to try.  I fish bass tournaments on Mosquito so i'm pretty familiar with the lake but i'd like to get some walleyes through the ice and don't know where to start.  If anyone could help me out to get me started i would appreciate it.

Thanks,

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Hi Fisherman250,

Sorry you haven't received a response yet. I am sure that one off the pro staff will have one soon. I haven't fished the lake but ran the tournament last year. Everyone left from the Causeway sporting goods and headed north to the Island. I know that they catch Walleye and Crappie there. If you walk further to the buoy line that is a great spot for walleye. I heard the 3rd buoy is good. I think if you are fishing the buoy line there is a closer access. In case you don't get a better report please call Linda at the Causeway and she can give you more info.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I was up last week. Lots of guys fishing the buoy line. Dont walk all the way out from the causeway. Go west out of the bait shop and at the first road (there is a small restaurant there) go north. Go down about a mile and there is a small dirt road on the right that goes back into a small lot. I dont remember if its marked or not. Get there early as it fills up fast. I normally go to the 3rd and 4th buoy. You can walk out to the north east side of the island and go out 150-200 yrds. and search for the channel. Most of the water out there is 7 to 8 ft.. The channel is very thin and you can drill holes 10 ft apart and miss it. it drops to 9 - 9 1/2 in the channel. If you find it mark it with you gps cause its hard to find it again. I found it 5 trips ago and didnt have my gps and ive yet to find it again. From what I was told by several people is that there hitting 1/8 oz. gold vibes and blue and white vibes. im not sure whats going on down on the south side. The Causeway opens at 7 am and theres normally alot of guys there getting minnows. Just ask and some may tell you whats been hot. If you want you can walk out from the bait shop and fish the points. Look on the DNR website for a topo map of the lake. The walleye love to sit on the point where they drop off fast. I would stay a ways back from the road with the weather weve had as Ive been up there on 8 inchs of ice and get by the causeway and its 3 inchs. Remember NO ICE IS SAFE ICE.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
Fisherman, I can give you some #'s to start out. Do you have a GPS? As hardwater said if you leave from the baitshop you should have no problem finding some fish. The bouy line is less shallow than down by the causeway, but can be very productive. Good luck. Pm  me if you want some coordinates.
EPIC ICE FISHING ADVENTURES-
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES
ICEJUNKIESOUTDOORS.COM - ACE CUSTOM RODS
VULTURE SYSTEMS- VICIOUS FISHING
STRICKER ICE - AQUA VU- NEBULOUS FLOTATION
PRO CURE SCENTS- GRIM OUTDOORS

fisherman250

• View Profile
Awesome guys, thanks for the info.  It may be a couple weeks before i get out there but when i do i'll post the results of my day.  And Eyewall i don't have a handheld GPS of my own but i can get one if it will help me out.  Thanks again.

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Let me know when you go as I may be able to get up there also.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Vexilar