Ice Fish Ohio Forum

cover that auger!

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
auger blades are SHARP. ice is slippery. if you take kids, they can get rowdy. good boots are expensive. some people take their dogs. they don't know an auger is sharp. cover your auger as soon as you drill your hole, before you grab your scoop. set it 10 feet away so if you slip, you won't fall on it.

ice phisher

• View Profile
pig puncher is on a roll!!!!!!!!lots of great information.....Augers have always been a great point of intrest to me. Ever since I was at Mogadore alot of years ago......and a gentleman came with a brand new auger.....cut his holes .....laid it on the ice right behind the bucket he was using for his seat.....un-covered......rigged his poles/started fishing/and when he set the hook in his first fish........he fell off the bucket (backwards) and ran his arm down the blade......we got the bleeding stopped so his buddy could rush him to the hospital......but it was one of the most nasty lacerations that I've witnessed......and I was a meat-cutter/ meat-manager for 25 years........and I've seen my share + of lacerations.....So as pig puncher said......CUT YOUR HOLES......PUT THE SAFETY COVER ON and YOU'LL NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM......IT'S AS EASY AS THAT.....
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

mr bill

• View Profile
i can relate to this one too........but it was in the back of the truck and the cover had fallen off. had went fishing in the morning and that afternoon went bird hunting with my irish setter. some time during the ride home after hunting the dog had step on the auger and cut the pad of the foot.....very deep and the full length.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
That is one of my biggest fears with the boys especially reaching into the back of the surburban, I took my auger and wrap it in an old carhart jacket after i put the cover on I always figure it gives me an extra warm jacket too if someone falls in or gets wet. Dave

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
Lost my cover to my strike master found new one at Gander Mt.  $9.99
it will be worth the protection as them blades is Sharp!

Vexilar