Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Portage Lakes Sunday 1/23

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Checked the ice conditions at Portage Lakes Saturday afternoon, 1/22 before deciding to venture out early Sunday morning, 1/23. (This past weeks reports of lowered water levels had me spooked). 

Ice looked good... normal.  We were on the ice by 7:30 with my son, Nate and fellow gray-beard icer, Ed.  Nate & I had a tough day and decided to try to find suspended perch or crappie in the large section of Turkeyfoot Lake. After a dozen holes, no luck and we returned to our original spots.  Ed had a hot hole all day long.  He fished till noon taking home 52 gills while Nathan & I caught 42 and took home only 11. Ed caught a few nice 9" hog bluegill while both Nathan & me were hitting "munchin land" gills. Nthan did catch 4 nice crappie, but Ed blitzed us today.

It was cold, but fun.  Got home in time to clean up, watch the football games and fillet our fish.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Nice catch and great post.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

panhead61

• View Profile
where the best spot on turkeyfoot to fish panfish going saturday for the first time there

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lots of areas:
 1. Entrance to Rex Lake is good
 2. Flag Pole at Dusty's
 3. Entrance to Old State Park
 4. Speed Lane: Note it's deep water area - 45ft+

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

bluegillkiller

• View Profile
we hit the channel by old state park headed back twords 619 we have been doin reallly good their just watch the dumb ahole snowmobilers thay have no common sence

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I fished the Clock Tower twice last week (Weds 2/9 and Thurs 2/10) after work for about an hour or so.  Both trips yielded 3 fish... 2 perch and 1 red-ear.  All  3 were dinks.  Disappointing to say the least.

Vexilar