Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Big White bass through the ice - 1/23/11

Salmonid

• View Profile
Fished with a newbie hard water friend, Scott, a public lake not to far from Dayton, marched a long ways toward deeper water and after moving around a bit, found  some nice big whitebass, taken on Jiggin Rapalas and shad rapalas, firetiger and perch colored.  Took ( and released ) 14 fish from 14" to almost 17", each hooked a few more and missed a bunch of hits.   screeen would be blank on the Vex for 12-15 minutes then a school would come through, bam, bam, a double almost everytime, then nothing for another 10-15 minutes when the school would come through then bam, another double, pretty cool, This lake is not known for the white bass but it does have a few and big ones at that...
Here is pics of me and Scott with one of the better fish we had caught.

Anyone else ever find bigger white bass like this??
Salmonid

Crazy4Smallmouth

• View Profile
How deep did you find them? Were they suspended? Did you catch anything else? How thick was the ice? Nice fish, must have given you a good fight!

Salmonid

• View Profile
in almost 40 FOW, and when the schools came through, they were in the bottom 4-5 ft, we were trying for walleyes, but none seen. Ice was mostly around 4-4.5" but the spot we got the most fish was more like barely 3",with sevral inches of fresh snow on top. used the shanty to displace the weight.. Yes, good fighters all the way to the hole!
Salmonid

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Nice fish. White bass sounds like alot of fun.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
The day we had the get together on Indian I saw a few big ones at the end of the day on the west side of Pony Island.
The are fun to catch.  I've heard they are good eats but the last time I tried to fillet them they seemed quite bony.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
We have a lot of them here in WI and they are excellent coming out of the cold water I filet them the same I do a Gill and the bones dont pose much of a problem Dave

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
That sure looked like a lot of fun  I would also probably let them go.  I love to eat fish, but my wife doesn't, so I often catch fish just to enjoy the catch.  I delight in the pictures as well for the memories.  Keep your lines wet.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
nice whites guys they are always fun to catch... :)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Hillbilly

• View Profile
trim the dark/red meat out of the center of the fillet, an they'll taste purty good. If you still find them fishy, soak in heavy salted water for a day or 2.
Dont remember them having anymore bones than the next panfish.
Real flaky white meat.

HB 8)

Vexilar