Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Teaching high schoolers a new hobby....

Salmonid

• View Profile
a friend of mine and myself taught about 15 local HS kids how to ice fish today. It was the Environmental Science class at the local vocational HS, ( Miami Valley Career tech ctr) , They have a 1 acre pond on the property and after a short safety lecture and a quick How to do it, we headed out, North wind made it rough for a few underdressed but they built a nice bon fire and ate smores while the rest of the kids were in class!! ( I wish I had class' like that when i was in HS)  right away one of the non fishing  kids nails a 15" LM on a Jiggin Rapala and was strutting around like he owned the place,way cool!! several other kids were totally into it and even brought there own stuff, It was a tough bite, the kind of day where you mark fish like crazy but cant get them to eat, or if you did, the kids were slow on the hookset, only a few bluegills were landed but a great time was had by all!
I suggest if you have the oppertunity to take a kid out and show them a new hobby....You wont be sorry!

Salmonid
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:51:58 PM by Salmonid »

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Great Job Salmonid. It is always great to hear when people spread our great sport with the nex generation. Keep up the good work
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Fishinfreak

• View Profile
That was a very good deed you and your partner did Mark.Something they will remember for a long time.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Congrats, wish my school did that!!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Very cool.
I'm happy some of the "non fishing kids" got to experience it.

Fishing is something everyone should get the chance to do.
Take a kid fishing!

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Great Job Mark!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar