Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New to Kiser - Please Help

BKfisherman

• View Profile
I'm planing on fishing Kiser this weekend for the first time can anyone fill me in on the lake maybe a good starting point? I'm targeting crappie and bluegill.

My thought was to fish the 12' hole and work my way up the noth shore to the bay in the middle section of the lake with the feeder creek. Any feedback would be nice.

Thank you in advance,

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
hey bk first off welcome to the site second I have fished kiser only 2 times this year on the ice and i would recommend starting on the east side of the lake past the campground and go to the rock jetty and walk out to north get in at least 4 to 5 feet and start and move to deeper water if nothing is going on if you have a vexilar it helps alot
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Basshawk

• View Profile
Sounds like you got the right idea, I would suggest you bring a few minnows along as I have caught a few nice perch on them every trip this year. In the 12 foot hole ive been getting more marks but the gills seem to be smaller on average, where in shallower water the are bigger and more agressive but few and far between. good luck

BKfisherman

• View Profile
Thanks guys,
I have minnows, wax worms and spikes. I grow up in MN so I have all the other ice gear needed. I appreciate the help. I'll be there tomorrow morning brite and early. Black F-150 - Frabill House

Matthew Fiedler

• View Profile
good luck BK, we were there tues and noone was having any luck.  we were fishing the deep water and we had a guy from over by the campground.  he said the same thing, noone was having luck.  i wish you luck though.  im fishing a farm pond down the road so i hope to have better luck:)

Basshawk

• View Profile
I was there tues all day, brought home 20 gills 5 perch 1 crappie. Bite was best early then was scratching my head in the evening. I was in 12 foot most of the day then 4pm on I was walking and drilling everywhere. Silver s10, frabil shanty, huge camo sled with rod holders on the back, usually park at the marina. Give me a shout it u c me out there and good luck

Matthew Fiedler

• View Profile
wow nice catch there.  glad you had some luck.  will have to give it a try in a week or so.

thank

BKfisherman

• View Profile
Nice catch Basshawk. I didn't make it out there like I planned. A buddy pulled me in a different direction. Now I'm kicking myself. Hopefully this storm isn't as bad as they say and I can venture that way this weekend. It's about an hour and 20 min drive for me.

Basshawk

• View Profile
Thanks for the kind words. Ive been doing really well with what I consider ultra-finess teniques, #2.5 wolfram jig 2lb test microice line and a single spike threaded up the hook to keep things small as possiable. My vexlar also been very important as they never seem to be in the same spot for more than a couple hours. I was up fishing sunday and after about the 15th hole I got on a small concentration of fish, the numbers werent high but the size was very good in 8.5 fow. Ended up experimenting with a few things and think I may have discovered a way to increase the perch catch, I would drop my jig to the bottom let it sit them drop a forage minnow in the same hole and pound the tar out of it till a fish appeared on the screen then bring my small jig quickly up to it. Not every fish would fall for the trick bet I belive It got me more perch bites. On a side not I have found it strange that Ive been doing better in the mournings and into mid-day than they seen to tapper off into the evenings with is backwards of what Im used to. Good luck and tight lines

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Basshawk have you tried a dropper rig for perch? They do work.
turkey09

Vexilar