Ice Fish Ohio Forum

crappies and eyes at C.J.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
I put two post on Buck Creek state park by mistake.  Only working Mon and Fri. for the past six weeks I've spent the rest of the days out on C.J.  Normally I make several trips to indian but have had so much success on C.J. that I haven't gone anywhere else.  My best day for eyes was last saturday.  Fishing on a 16 foot hump surrounded by 20+feet of water I caught 32 Crappies over 11" and five eyes between 21-26"  all eyes came on a clown glow jigging shadrap.  Most of my crappies have come on glow green, glow blue, glow clown and glow perch shadraps.  Jigging rapalas are catching them as well.  I've had many 50+ keeper crappie days since first ice.  If your not on the main lake your not going to catch many keepers as the marina has been worn out.  Not to say you won't find a good day there just a luck of the draw.  15' and deeper has been the key.  Brush piles are baby factories and I not bothering with them.  Did well on the main lake humps and deep railroad bed.  Also in areas around the Crabil house though that area had alot of 8"ers.  Late morning is good for suspended fish if you have electronics to look for them.  When they suspend I've had better luck with tiny glow jigs and spoons.  If you want to know more check my post on Buck Creek state park.  If you aren't catch fish 1/2 hour after daylight move.  Nothing to be caught betwwn noon and 5 at least not by me. 
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Great post and tips!
I might have to make a trip to CJ this weekend if the ice is safe.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
clear ice is 8-9 inches on all the lake I have been on with the exception of the mid beach area.  The geese kept this area open longer.  A friend checked it a week ago and found 5" there.  This has been a good perch area during mid-feb.  Around the Crabil house there are some wet spot I'd avoid just because.  I don't know if there are fresh water spings or it just because of resevoir action but plenty of room to walk around the spots.  I will however fish near them and do well.  I have been out to the middle between the marina and crabil house east and west, the campground point and the poinst between beach and dam south and north about as middle in the lake as possible.   Found over ten inches in spots out there.  Have yet gone out to the tressel but have heard from a few that did.  I know I'm longtyped but there you have it, the ice is the best I've seen since the lake was put in. 
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
Just got the word not going out on the road tomorrow so I'll be out there in the morning in my one man pull over shelter.  If I'm out I'm in camo head to toe.  Don't know where I'll go yet depends on how energetic I feel in the morning.  May try the roadbed off the campground since I haven't fished the north end yet.  Don't mind company if anyone wants to look for me.  I have a 97 maroon GMC truck with cap and ladder racks.

Apex

• View Profile
Very nice post. Covered all the information without giving away your spot. Thank you and good luck!

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I might fish it for the first time on Sat, if you're going to be out there I wouldn't mind fishing with someone who knows the lake.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
went exploring this morning.  Started at the bouy off the campground and caught 3 cats all 3-5lbs.  just sucked in my shadrap.  Went out to the deep railroad tracks out in 28' of water and caught over 20 crappies suspending at 15'  Hit two whitebass both 15+inches.  Noeyes this morning.  Found nice gill on diamond jigs on the way in in the trough just south of campground point.  Didn't last long was almost noon then.   Will be out Saturday if anyone wants to meet up and go let me know.  May be late friday night before I get back on line but I'll be at the bait shop at 6:30am (won't be open)  and will wait ten minuates before taking off.  If your going with me be ready for a long hike.  Most likely going back out a mile south off the campground again. 

smith07

• View Profile

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
across from dam but doesn't open til 8am

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
should of stated I should be at bait house across from dam at 6:30  have a pickup in Indy and Chicago tomorrow but unless they have'nt cleaned up I should have no problem making it home Fri. night.

fshman_165

• View Profile
Did you go to the flat today? I will be out tomorrow between 10 and 4. I will run 6 or 7 of our other spots we havent hit yet. I'll let ya know what I do. I might leave ya a couple fish for Saturday :P. I'll be out Sunday with Teddie. He is driving me nuts to go out and get some more big crappies and eyes.

Crazy4Smallmouth

• View Profile
Hey fshman,

I am going to be out tomorrow also. Hope to see you there. Give me a call if you find them before me. I will call you if I stumble onto them first. I hope to get there around 8am.

fshman_165

• View Profile
Yo Crazy,

Give me a call. The main lake has been HOT. I will be there by 10 or 10:30 AM. We can meet up
and you can go out with me.

Fshman

triton189

• View Profile
I am going to hit CJ tomorrow morning! I have a Black Chevy Avalanche and will be in a Red Eskimo Flip. If you wan't to meet up let me know.

Vexilar