Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Mogadore Oh Mogadore, Where for art thou?

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Que Pasa to this once premier panfish lake of Northeastern Ohio???   The overall catch has been sparse and extremely sporadic from the reports I've gotten this ice fishing season.

Read a post last week stating an ice fisherman with a camera viewed a bunch of dead fish on the bottom off Congress Lake Road.

I tried to get out on Wingfoot with Jon Sr (MrPhish42) this morning (for my very first time), but the high winds of 50+ mph as we met at the parking lot thwarted us from doing

We decided to hit Mogadore near the boathouse at St Rt 43 where it's "wind-protected" from the Westerly & Northern Winds).  The rains & hail didnt stop us, but we were very happy to be wearing ice cleats., (Dont think anyone could walk on the ice without them).

We punched nearly 20 holes and never had a bite; nor did we see any fish on our Vex's.

We hit the deep & shallow waters from 12ft to 4ft, but NADA.

Moggie has me stumped as to what has happened to that once fine fishery.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:55:26 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

harleymike1974

• View Profile
i talked to a guy out there friday evening and he said the same thing about the dead fish, he specified bluegill. and we also punched about 20 holes from 22 fow to 9 fow over by the dam with not even a bite!!!

snag

• View Profile
Call district 3 and ask them why they let all of those channel catfish loose in Mogodore.  It is my opinion, since that is the only thing I know of that they did, that those catfish ruined Mogodore.  It was shortly after their release that I noticed the panfishing went out the window.  Oh, they'll tell you it's a cycular (spelling) type of thing....that bluegills run in cycles.  I fished that lake for almost 30 years straight enjoying quality and quantity in regards to panfish.  That's sadly over.

ice phisher

• View Profile
This is going to truly be on of those wait and see "whaz up situations"  ???......Man I sure got my fingers crossed.....Sure luved the panfish bite there.........Never believed I'd live to be old enough to see all that come to a screeching halt!!!!!!!!!!!But either I've gotten really that old....or the fishing there has gotten really that bad...... It has become a great "Bass and Catfish Hole" tho................So those who are pursuing those species are quite happy.... ;D  as I said time will tell. :o
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Vexilar