Ice Fish Ohio Forum

bluegill rig for sniffers

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Sometimes you can see bluegills on your vexilar come up to your jig sniff it and swim away.  This rig will help you get the sniffers.  Tie a one foot piece of 1 lb line onto the bend of your main jig or fly, then tie on a small size 12 hook and tip it with a maggot or 2.  You'll be amazed how many more bluegill and crappie you'll hook into.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
great tip! i'm definitly going to try this 2morrow thanks.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

JustNutts

great tip! i'm definitly going to try this 2morrow thanks.
Dave says your doing fine without it.. HAHA

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
my ten to his one now, but i'm looking to increase it ;D
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Used this again today, my only crappie and 80% of my bluegill came on it.  This is great for lite biters and skittish fish.  Today, though I threaded one waxworm over the hook so fish couldn't see hook at all, that's when I started picking up fish.  Hope this helps somebody.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

bigoslabz

• View Profile
are u putting the hook above your jig or below it ?

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
below the jig
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gotta try it next time out.

Any difference on the size 12 hook whether its short shank or long, gold, red or steel??

Thanks for the tip
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I use a short shank hook so by bait will cover the whole hook. I even go down to a size 16 so that a maggot will cover the whole hook. As for color never tried really seen a difference. My 12 are gold and 16 are brown.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I was just thinking a good hook to use would be a size 16 fly hook since most are short shanked to begin with.  I meant to put some of these together but haven't as of yet.  The next time I try to fish for panfish I will though.

Tight Lines!
Jason

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Chris needs all the help he can get.  ;D
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You're right about the fly hook!  That's what I use.  Forgot to mention that.  I will use a size 12-16.  Depending on the spcies I'm after.  Smaller for gills larger for crappies.  I tie it to the hook of my main jig.  I will use a 6-8 inch length of 1 pound test.  That way the hook kind of suspends at the same level as the main jig and just flutters in the water.  The fish may come up and check out the jig, ignore it, and go after the sniffer maggot.

Team Wilcraft!

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
What you sound like you are talking about is a Michigan Rig. We use it alot when tight-lining.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I use the Michigan rig while deadsticking. I tie a small fly with a loop about 12 to 18" above my jig. Works well.
turkey09

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
I used the Michigan here in wisconsin with a lot of luck but beware of your states regs.it counts as another pole for each hook on the line here. Dave

Vexilar