Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Vexilar Tricks

davek · 6 · 3712

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
I just picked up a Vexilar FL 20 and was talking to a friend of mine, Bob said he has seen some fishermen shoot through the ice without drilling looking for fish they use abaggie of antifreeze between the transducer and ice to keep it from freezing into the ice. I was wondering if anyone has done this or seen it done. Dave

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
I read a article about this and they said they take a bottle of water out with them remove all the snow from ice dump the warmer water on the ice then shoot through the ice i have not tried it yet but was going to when we get ice this year.
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
If you try antifreeze I would use RV antifreeze.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
good point hardwater, mitch im afraid as cold as it gets here that the transducer would still freeze in I,ll give it a try and keep you posted on how it works

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
Never tried the antifreeze in a bag, but religiously use water on the ice to shoot thru. Never had my puck freeze on the ice.  The cleaner the ice the better it works. cuts your time down dramatically when your prospecting for fish/cover.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I know this work. I don't think you will have the puck on the ice in the water for it to freeze.

You will see the marks and start drilling or move on to the next spot.

This will be a good question for Vexilar pro staff member and guide Matt Johnson on our Tuesday night chat on November 29th.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar