Ice Fish Ohio Forum

camping/campgrounds for iceing????

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I have been thinking that alot of the central ohio lakes dont have alot of bank acess for the ice fishermen and the ones that are available are not prime locations or are not safe. Would they allow us to use the campgrounds to acess the ice? And is there any campgrounds that have rentals (cabins,huts, etc) that you could rent during the winter. Would be pretty fun to get a couple buddies together and have a weekend of cold weather camping and hard water fun. Thanks for all the info guys.

Bonecrusher

• View Profile
Delaware is closed in areas 1, 2, and 4. The only campground section this is left open is 3.

Here is a map for some of the people who aren't too familiar with the lake.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Camping would be cool but was thinking more for just acess not sure if they would allow us to do stuff like this...alum and delaware both have shore acess to some decent spots. Not sure if we could get in contact w someone and figure this out. I don't see it being an issue especially if that part of the park is closed. There are some amazing humps and not to mention a rd bed that would be easy acess from alums campground boat launch.and im sure there are other lakes where this would apply also. Indian has alot of easy parking/walking thats part of the reason i think it gets alot of ice pressure.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Last year Alum aloud the ice surfers ( I guess thats what they would be called) use the campers ramp to park they're wind surfers, I used it to walk out on the ice a couple of times and saw several others use it as well. I spoke to the maintenance man at the office one morning, He said he didn't think anyone would say anything, I would imagine it would be up to the park officer if you would be trespassing or not , I would contact the park office if you are planning on going out there.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
once it gets closer to ice time i will try and contact a few of the park officers and see about using the parks for access.

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
not trying to start an argument or debate ....but i think thats crap...all ohioans pay for "thier" state parks......

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
No I completly agree these parks are open for ice fishing so they should allow us to use the parks for access. Half of the boat launch areas dont even get plowed and forget about parking on the shoulders with the snow banks from the rd plows. It can get very challenging if you dont have 4x4. This is exactly the reason I have been trying to figure out new ways to access lakes.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Does anyone know of who I should contact at certain parks? I'd like to start calling around and get this ball in motion

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I would try the park office or check the back of the hunting regulation book for the park rangers number.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

bf1976

• View Profile
At Alum this will be an issue this winter esp. as hollenback and new galena are supposed to closed for repairs and the state campground will be having the light show.

I just cannot believe how they restrict access during the winter on alum ie. the beach access, the sailboat bay road, etc.

I fished pymatuming alot last year and they leave alot of access roads open including boat ramps and campgrounds.

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I would think if we start getting our opinions out on this we may be able to get some additional access.  If people hear enough from the masses often things get done.

Let me know who to talk to and I will make some calls.  Don't know if they will help but I will call anyhow.

Vexilar