Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What do you target?

crv423 · 15 · 8192

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Whats your main target? Growing up My father and grandfather were big into walleye fishing, although they would fish for other species on occasion, salmon on Huron and Michigan, strippers on Santee Cooper,etc. but every time we fished locally ( Salt Fork) we fished for walleyes, and would make several trips a year to Erie to catch those delicious white fillets. When we would go ice fishing they were all about large mouth and panfish, I don't know if they just didn't know how to fish for eyes through the ice, But I can't remember ever fishing for eyes through the ice with them. 
    I guess all that walleye fishing I did as a kid just got into my blood, I can't seem to get away from em. Although I do fish for multiple species I find my lines connect to an eye lure more times than not. What species gets you to wake up at five in the mourning and spend a half hour getting dressed to walk out in sub zero weather and hope to catch just a few to put into that hot grease.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Never did the waleye deal.  Really want to.  I target BIG BULL GILLS.  The monster RedEars.  I also look for the Jumbo perch.  Like you, I find myself jiggging a Swedish Pimple or Rapala trying for those perch.  It is a rush when you fill your bucket with them.  Hope I can get some walleye action this season.  I've never targeted them under the ice before.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Where do you live Minnowhead?  If it were up to me I would target bull gills more often but don't really have a spot close to me here in central Ohio as of yet.  The reservoirs close aren't good because of the way the levels get dropped all of the time.  There is no vegetation.  When I get over to Indian I target gills more often than anything else because of their great taste.  I like saugeye and crappie because they are most available on Alum which is my "home" lake.  Growing up I was like CRV and mainly walleye fished on Mosquito and Pymatuning.

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
Never really thought of it as one main type before. I would say I do fish more for pan fish than any other. But like many of you, I try for many different species throughout the year.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Never really thought of it as one main type before. I would say I do fish more for pan fish than any other. But like many of you, I try for many different species throughout the year.

couldnt of said it better i target the big gills most too (which is weird as i rarely fish for them other than on the ice) but i fish for everything

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It depends on who is with me.  I do some guiding throughout the ice season, so I go after whatever the client wants.  But if I'm by myself, which is half the time, I usually target crappie or walleye.  If I'm on Berlin, it's walleye.  If it's Deer Creek or Walborn, it's crappie.  Atwood is good for both saugeye and crappies.  I also have some small lakes/big ponds I target for bull gills.  I guess it depends on my taste buds if I'm alone.  But if I want a challenge, I'll go to Leesville for muskies.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Minnowhead

• View Profile
MDBuckeye, I'm up in Stark county. If you have any strip mine pits you'll find the Big Gills.  I've gotten them on resevoirs before.  It seems they are spotty though.  Can't wait.  Slowly getting there!LOL
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Minnowhead, I'm in Stark county also.  We should hit the ice sometime.  Be a lot of fun!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

cobe24

• View Profile
At Indian, where I fish whenever psosible, I generally fish for the big gills. On slower days, I switch to 'eyes at dark.

At Loramie, much closer to home, almost always after work late afternoon crappie trips.

panfisher1402

• View Profile
I go after the panfish. But like to get in the eyes also.

pete12

• View Profile
saugeye/walleye for me,theres nothin like jigging a vibe and felling like you snaged the bottom on the up jig, just cant really get into pan fishing, although i did catch my biggest gill at indian last year!

Salmonid

• View Profile
In softwater I mostly fish smallies in local streams and lots of catfish tournaments on SW ohio lakes and the Ohio River.

In hardwater, its mstly been gills  but I love crappies and perch when I can get them, I never eat anything so they all go back or if Im with someone who wants them, great. Im hoping to do more jigging ths year and get some saugeyes at Indian

Salmonid

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I go for anything but preferably the bigger the better ;)
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

perchguy

• View Profile
I fish for the panfish,years a go it was all perch I use to fish for them about every day in the winter on grandlake BUT that has years ago. :( :( :(

g

• View Profile
mostly walleyes,saugeyes & perch at indian or erie. last year i did alot of gill fishing at a friends pond since indian wasn't happening too well. last trip caught 54 gills & 2 bass. over 3/4 of gills were over 9 in ( pure strain & hybrids). if possible i'd rather fish erie all the time for walleyes & perch. nothing like pulling monster eyes through an 8 in. hole.

Vexilar