Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Favorite Colors

MDBuckeye · 17 · 10581

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
What's your favorite colors, besides the one the fish are biting on, for the lakes you fish most often?  I know there are studies that say certain fish respond to certain colors under certain light conditions but what are your go to colors?

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
if there is alot of snow cover ill go with a black/glo if not i like pink and white/glo chart is always good and so is flor orange

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Good choices all. Anymore will lightly spray them with a Ultra Violet reflecting coat. Have read several places that surprisingly MANY fish "see' in the lower part of the UV spectrum even relatively deep underwater. Tried it last winter against a plain "glo" jig, same color, type and weight with same mousie on but the UV sprayed jig caught 3X more fish! Might be "on" to something here...

Minnowhead

• View Profile
I've had alot of luck on gills with a chart/orange belly pinmin.  And gold Swedish Pimples for perch.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
My 2 go to for crappie are chart/green head, and a white/red head.  These are jigs I make myself.  1/16 or 1/32 ounce.  For walleyes I like firetiger.  Bluegills I like a small silver pin-min, or a black ant I make myself.  If you search "tinmouth torpedo" on our site, there's a picture under the go to lure thread of the crappie jigs I make.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:18:53 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
For gills, dark colors have been my fav... black, purple & blue
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

lowellhturner

• View Profile

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Blue and silver chrome, and fire tiger, can't beat em
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

cobe24

• View Profile
At Indian, always armed with something red for winter panfish. For eyes, like firetiger vibes, gold or orange pimples, and blue/silver or white/char jigging raps.

panfisher1402

• View Profile
I really like red and white for the crappies.

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
This is not in any order and is only for tungsten jigs ;D

School Bus
Baby Blue
Chartreuse
Perch
Black
Red
Basic Glow
Irish Green

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Black, White, Red, Joe Glow, Perch, Chartreuse and Orange, Silver, Gold and Last but not least....... Ladybug

The new Tungsten offerings from Custom Jigs and Spins and Northland Do look nice.... I like that School Bus pattern and the Black and White Striped one looks pretty nice as well.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
Black, White, Red, Joe Glow, Perch, Chartreuse and Orange, Silver, Gold and Last but not least....... Ladybug

The new Tungsten offerings from Custom Jigs and Spins and Northland Do look nice.... I like that School Bus pattern and the Black and White Striped one looks pretty nice as well.

There is better quality out there for tungsten and you don't have to pay more to get it.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

OldSailor

• View Profile
OIM, where is a good place to get tungsten jigs for a reasonable price ???
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Gold is one of my most used colors. Custom jigs and spins has a precious metals series that are all gold plated and work great. I hope jammin jigs will start making jigs some of there jigs gold plated. I aslo like Black, Chartuse, Orange and Pink.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Vexilar