Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Gas or not during first ice?

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I have been contemplating my drilling strategy when we finally get first ice.  I have 4" and 8" mora Strikemaster hand augers and my 8" gas Strikemaster.  I was thinking until I am confident we have good solid ice I will probably stick to my hand augers but the draw back to that is not having the will to drill more than 15-20 holes during a trip.

Any thoughts?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I know gas is a little heavier, but I only take my 8 inch gas.  Had a 4 inch hand, but several times I had fish I couldn't get thru the hole.  It was a pain drilling out the hole without cutting my line.  Also like you if I don't have gas I'll never drill and fish like I should.  If the ice is that iffy I'll give it a day.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i'm with you md. i noticed last season, with power i drilled a lot more holes. dealing with joint pain in the shoulders and elbows, i think pulling the extra weight vs. drilling more holes is the way to go. power augers on 4" of ice? if you got it use it.

bf1976

• View Profile
When I got a 6" Lazer hand ice auger several years ago for Christmas I never even considered getting another power auger. With the amount of ice we get around here I just cannot justify carrying a power auger especially with gas, etc. I have never been on the ice when someone drilled more holes then I typically drill.

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
Its situational based for me, but typical rule for me is 6" lazer til we get 6" of ice then i switch to the gas.  unless working a new body of water etc. etc.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I had a gas and it was not worth the Additional weight. Now Crv has one I just go fish his holes since he can't catch em anyways.

A 6 in lazer cuts like butter and I need the exercise.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
When you get more then 8" a gas auger would probably be nice but I don't own one :) maybe it would be a nice investment for Erie but otherwise I feel like I am scaring them anyways!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

g

• View Profile
i use my hand auger until the ice is 6 inches then it's gas all the way. both shoulders are bad so it's hard for me to drill many holes with my hand auger. am getting surgery on my right shoulder in early dec,. hopefully it will be good enough to use ice fishing. with my gas auger, i drill at least 8 2 hole setups at a time whereas with my hand auger, i can only drill 3 & my shoulders hurt too bad to drill anymore for at least an hour.

Vexilar