Ice Fish Ohio Forum

I've decided...

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
So first off Happy New Year to all of you.  Secondly, I've made a decision to fish this weekend no matter how far I have to drive north.  My wife has plans that don't involve me so I am free the entire weekend and just need a place to get out.

If anyone has any plans after we see how the ice is going to form and the forecast for the rest of the week let me know if you want to get out.  Friday looks like the warmest day for the next couple of weeks but hopefully the weather man is wrong.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My wife and I have talked about this as well. I've taken this position with Honda and as a result, several of my weekends have been cut in half over the next few months.

After some serious thought and conversation, we have decided that I'll get more bang for my buck if I stick around and wait for our ice to come on.

From what I understand large areas of Simcoe and Hamlin are still open. I spoke to Jonny over the weekend (who was kind enough to answer his phone on a goose hunt) and he had mentioned Fletcher Pond which is near Alpena. I did some digging and made a phone call. I was told that they are fishing 4"-6" of good ice and that they are putting on about 1" a day. This lake will be deep within the fishable ice zone by weekend, but I'd bring my spikes as temps are going to climb. No report of the amount of snow.

Call around if you're serious about making a trip, you may very well find something closer to home.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I REALLY wish I could head north too!  Just picked up some work though... :(  I guess need to pay the bills.  Let us know what happens if you head up there.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Haha we did really good on the geese btw!
We may have to make the drive because I see some good weather comin around the second week of this month but warmth again after that! It is good to hear that they are getting good ice up that way because I may be up that way to be snowmobiling too!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Vexilar