Ice Fish Ohio Forum

The "Friends of CJ Brown Reservoir' Project #3

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Sir Intimidator, welcome aboard here ! Obviously have been recruiting help. Salmonid, glad to have you along also ! Forgive me if i seem too overly optimistic, but think we can crank out a few more than 50...if the help is available.

Matthew Fiedler

• View Profile
hey lowell, my dad ended up using the bricks for his creek.  but he did tell me that there is a brick making place in st paris ohio.  they throw all there 2nd bricks in a big pile and he is pretty sure they would let you have as much as you want.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Our 2cnd biggest problem is of course transporting the materials, perhaps we can work something out...as the Intimidator has pointed out; things are relatively "good' for now, but assuredly (and unfortuneately) it`s cyclic; the shad kill WILL eventually come. The more cover that goes in, and the greater variety the more NON shad forage base there will be to minimize the impact, particularly helping to increase the yellow perch. If we can semi organise the effort, we stand a very good chance to get in a "Sunday Punch" who`s effects will last for a VERY LONG time, perhaps 10+ yrs...

Matthew Fiedler

• View Profile
bigbr1 lives in st paris and knows the place im talking about i hope lol.  i know they do other things too like clay tiles and what not.

CJ Brown IceMan

• View Profile
Lowell
Just keep us updated as to when and where.
I have a bass boat with GPS if needed
Weekends would be my only chance as I suspect is the case with most
Mike

lowellhturner

• View Profile
fathead 45, we might need to speak with them. We may be able to organize a "convoy' of trucks or something similar, with help to unload it awaiting at CJ. It`s all about organizing it so when we need the "muscle' for tasks  when it`s time we can swiftly accomplish it and then get back to fishing...

Intimidator

• View Profile
The "Meet and Greet" for the 2012 CJ Cover Project will be held on March 3rd (Saturday) at 1pm, at the Visitor Center. More info can be found on www.ohiogamefishing.com, then on the SW forum, and there is a "Sticky" at the top of the page which is titled "CJ Cover Project"!

Please pm either Lowell or myself with areas that you would like to see cover placed....we need to have this ready for the Meeting. We will have examples of cover that can be built at home also at the Visitors Center!

Debra Walters from the ONDR will be at the meeting to look over proposed areas and give final buy-off, representatives of the COE, and Park Management will also attend to answer any questions and help with anything else we can think of!
Debra (Gator Queen) is the SW district Manager and a fish biologist who did all of her Masters Degree work on CJ, she will gladly answer any questions on the Lake or fish!

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Saugeyemarc, your presence and opinions would be invalueable. And to the MANY who helped previously, we will have some restrictions, but this is a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to create a "honey hole' that only you initially will KNOW about...(unless it produces so WELL you can`t resist sitting on it ALL the time !)

Intimidator

• View Profile
Saugeyemarc, your presence and opinions would be invalueable. And to the MANY who helped previously, we will have some restrictions, but this is a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to create a "honey hole' that only you initially will KNOW about...(unless it produces so WELL you can`t resist sitting on it ALL the time !)

It is a "Golden OPPORTUNITY" to HELP CJ with alot of Permanent structure....so that the fishing will continue to be good for the rest of our lives! The idea is to make cover and place it in an area that you can "MONITOR". Then continue "CHECKING" it, to see if it's productive...then we'll know where to place cover the next time, that is beneficial FOR THE FISH!!!

triton189

• View Profile
I don't fish CJ that much.... However, this may change. LOL  I am willing to help if needed?

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm going to be available again this year for moving block and trees. I hope to be able to help with the rigging this year as well, I know that this is the most time consuming part of what you do.

This lake is going to be over the top in the coming seasons. I've already capitalized on the isolated structure points through the ice. The fish are relating to this cover and the camera shows it, especially as the water clears toward middle ice on the main lake. Your efforts are serving their purpose!

It wouldn't be right for us all to claim the spoils without getting our hands a little dirty right along with you.

It's a good cause, and I'm grateful to be of help. The more manpower, the better! This could be a destination spot for panfish in the next 5-10 years as I see it now. I'd like for guys in NE Ohio to think of it as "Only 3 hours drive," instead of "a 3 hour drive."

If there are attainable goals, year to year, this will happen.

Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Sir, have been running my butt off the last 2 wks, sorry to have missed the last 2 "chats"! Your words are heartening and will pass them along. MANY persons helped get us this far and we hope to REALLY go "over the top' this season, some perhaps optimistic persons have mentioned 1,000 of them; ain`t sure about THAT many, but ANY is that many more...again we meet March 3r at 1 PM at the Visitor`s Center to "negotiate' with the Corps, ODNR and the Park for slightly more "freedom of action" this time...Saugeye Marc is going to try to attend if at all possible. The meeting is open to the public as far as am aware...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That's a cool project.  I wish we could get something like this going on some of the Northeast Lakes.  That would be awsome, I know right where I'd put them.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Slabslayer, Go up to berlin. There are thousands of christmas trees in the parking lot at the launch by the dam. It looks loike they have already been setting some out. With the lake level down you can see see where they have been setting them and some of the old ones from years past.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Cool,  I'll have to mark that down for my summer tournament up there.  Thanks.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar