Ice Fish Ohio Forum

One heck of a night!

Bonecrusher

• View Profile
Yes I only caight 1 fish and only made 1 cast but it was a blast!

Spent the afternoon calling coyotes at Alum. (No Luck) I through my rod and tackle bag in the truck and figured I would check out the spillway. I have never had much luck but I had to get to get out of the house.

Pulled into to the spillway and see a fish on the rocks. To no surprise Fishslim was involved. I had no clue it was another anglers PB smallmouth, just an awesome fish! Congrats man.

I set up at the bottom of the steps. Made my first cast with a crappie tube and 6lb Stren Clear Blue. Felt the first tick on the rocks and decided to do a lift and drop retrieve. Felt the second rock and slowly lifted the rod. THAT ROCK EXPLODED! I had no idea what I hooked I figured possibly a Muskie or big friggin' carp. It shot out of the water and they guy to my right asked if I just threw a rock in the water (I had been there all of 2 minutes). I think the screaming drag answered the question. As I am standing there with the deer in the headlight look thinking how long is it going to be until my line or rod snaps? If it doesn't how the heck am I going to get a picture with this thing? I have no net and the pliers are laying on the dash board of my truck. I stood a little longer losing the battle. Out of the blue another angler came down and started lending a hand. The first time I got the fish close I realized what I had. A tail hooked (huge to me) Muskie. Every time I got him close to the bank he would pull another 50 yards of line. I have no clue how many times he did this or how long I actually fought this thing. It felt like an hour. Eventually another guy named Tom? came from way down the bank with an an actual Muskie net and a set of Boga grips. After watching Trevor the other guy almost fall in the water about 6 times, he was as relieved as I was. We finally got the fish out of the water and were able to get a couple pics. This fish may have been foul hooked but it was one heck of a memory! We thought about taking it up the dam but there was no way he would have made it. This fish was as tired as I was. He was released and swam away just fine. All in all I think about 6 people were involved in getting this thing to the point of a picture. Fish went 38" and I have no clue on the weight. Thank you all for your help! It was definitely a memorable night. After all was said and done I looked at my mess of 6lb Stren and said to myself "It doesn't get ant better than this. I am going home" Thanks again everyone especially Tom with the net.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Bryan

• View Profile
Awesome story!
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i was there, upstream from you. i heard the splash. i'm still on crutches, or i'd have came to help. looked like a lot of fun. a guy across from me had one earlier. got loose after a 10 minute battle.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile

Bonecrusher

• View Profile
I could only imagine what that fiasco looked liked from upstream. I think I am gonna hit it again tonight. Stop by and say hi I will be in the same jacket. If I see a guy on crutches I will be sure to say hi! lol
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i was too far to see much, but i could tell there was some excitement for a while. couldn't make it tonite. getting ready to head north next week. hope to get back there before the doctor sentences me back to w%*k.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Great fish and an even better story!  Congrats for getting him landed.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar