Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Vex ?

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Ok, got a vex fl-8.  Depth range is S1, 2, 3, and 4.  What does that mean exactly?  Am I using the white band of numbers around the dial for S1?  And Am I using the yellow numbers around the dial for the D1, etc. etc.?  Now the fuzzy math question.  What is S2 then?
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Ok, I have not used an 8 in awhile. But I do not recall it having a 3 setting on the dial. Thought it went 1,2,4 and was a three position dial. Maybe it was an FL8se I used in the past but thought they were pretty much the same. Either way its pretty easy and not really fuzzy math. The settings were as follows S (using outside white dial) S1 0-20 feet S2 0-40 S4 0-80. D setting (using Inner gold ring) D1, 0-30 D2 0-60 D4 0-120. So basically you are taking either the first S or D setting and multiplying by the setting on the dial. so S setting is 20 x's the dial setting. so s setting on 4 is 20 times 4 equalling 80 foot range. D setting being zero to 30 set on setting 4 you would be on the range of 0-120 (4 multiplied by 30) foot. The trick is to utilize as much of the screen dial as possible to get the best target separation as possible. Meaning if you are in 32 foot of water set the vexilar to S2 therefore utiliziing most of the 0-40 screen. Hopes this makes sense, its very simple and once you get it down a vex can not be beat!! Anymore questions just let me know. Hope it is clear and I did not muck it up to bad
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:47:53 PM by erierider »
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
try going to vexilar.com   u can download a manual in pdf formfor your fl8  u can download and print the file for future reference
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:09:27 PM by jaybird62 »
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Perfect, thanks erierider.  That makes total sense.  I did not know that you would want to use the entire dial  to get better target seperation.  Very good to know.  Thanks again.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Minnow,
Hope that helps. Guess unless yout travel you will probably not get to use that vex anytime soon. Oh well, at least you know for next year.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

Vexilar