Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Hello from N.W. Ohio

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
I just started ice fishing in 2010 and it was a good year to get started. I had never ice fished, but had heard so much about it, that I had to try it out. I went to MC Sports and bought a rod, a box of jigs and an auger.

I was on the ice about a week before x-mass...with great fear and antisipation of what would happen next. As it turns out, I was fishing on a farm pond that produced some excellent bluegills, black crappie and largemouth bass. The interest quickly turned into an addiction. :P

I used my groundblind, with some make-shift window kits to keep the wind from howling through it...then decided to run with the big dogs or stay on the porch. ;D I went to Cabelas and purchased an ice shelter, a sled, heater, chairs, etc. It was better than I had expected.

Obviously, last years' ice was non-existant, so I'm hoping to get all the gear out this year and get after it. I'm planning on buying a small cook stove and eat 'em as we catch 'em.

Bowhunter57
George Washington did not use his right to free speech to defeat the British...he shot them.

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
welcome to the site.
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
welcome. don't go up north, or you'll really get spoiled. drive your truck to where you wanna fish, no action,drive somewhere else. cook on the tailgate. an ice party. on my bucket list is to camp on ice for a weekend.

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
welcome to the insanity. where u at in nw ohio?
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
Quote from: jaybird62
welcome to the insanity. where u at in nw ohio?

jaybird62,
Thank you!

It's so nice to be insane...no one asks you to explain. ;D

I'm on the north side of Lima. Where are you located?

Bowhunter57
George Washington did not use his right to free speech to defeat the British...he shot them.

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
im in delphos
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
im in delphos

It's a small world, after all. I drive past Delphos, on US 30, several times a week...in a tanker. I haul some liquid stuff to Haviland, just north of VanWert 4 or 5 times a week, 2 to 3 times a day.

Bowhunter57

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
im up and down 30 a lot too, mainly to the east,  been checking out all those borrow pit ponds over towards upper sandusky,  u ever try any of those? im gonna stop at a few and try to get permission to fish em
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hello, glad you're here.  BTW if you guys fish those 30 ponds, if you want company, let me know.  I live off 30 but over in the Canton area.  I've seen those ponds over by U.S. and always wondered if there was a ny good fish in them. ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
ill let ya know if i have any luck getting permission
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
jaybird62,
I've not been able to get permission in any of the borrow pits east of Beaverdam to 235. I've not tried any of them east of 235.

I thought I'd start north of Delphos and go west toward Middle Point, as that's about as far as I care to travel...at this time.

I talked to a guy that's fished several of the borrow pits west of Wapakoneta on U.S. 33 and he said that he's had good luck getting permission and catching decent fish.

I've gotta get out and get some permission anchored before first ice, so that I have a few places to ice fish...instead of just reservoirs.

Bowhunter57

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
i havent had a chance to stop yet  at the ones east of 235. gonna try this weekend
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
i havent had a chance to stop yet  at the ones east of 235. gonna try this weekend
jaybird62,
When I said that I've not been able to get permission, that's because I stopped and talked to several landowners and they all said NO, due to family.

If you try, good luck!
Bowhunter57

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
ive run into the same thing getting permission to hunt.  im still gonna try though. im gonna print up a release form to take with me. if they are open to ice fishing might make em feel better if they know they arent liable.
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Welcome Bowhunter57

As you will find out sooner or later, this is a pretty good bunch.  Hopefully you can make it down 33 to Indian a time or two this ice season.

I'm originally from Lima myself so I've seen those ponds in the past.  Sometimes if you offer to do some work for the land owner or help out in some way they will say yes.

Good luck!

Vexilar