Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Safe footing on the ice for under $5 bucks

skunkedagain

• View Profile
My Ice boots have a thick semi-hard rubber sole. I found that using a standard hex drive sheet metal screw (#8 X 1/2 inch long), can be driven into the sole without penetrating through it. The rubber holds the screw in well and the sharp hex head bites the ice well. When one wears out just replace it. I bought a box of 100 screws for $4.40. I installed about 34 screws per boot and they work great and were easy to put in. The thickness of the sole determines the length of the screw, I went about 2/3 rds the thickness to determine the length of the screw

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Not a bad idea.  Kind of like the screw-in golf spikes.  ou don't have to screw with strap on cleats, I like it!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

skunkedagain

• View Profile
One thing I forgot to mention, Don't get caught walking across the Kithen with these on.
Nuff Said!

ice phisher

• View Profile
 skunkedagain.....Great post on this site. This idea has been around for several years and has been posted on other ice fishing sites....But I'm glad you brought it up here.
  Also glad you mentioned the KITCHEN FLOOR PART. BUT PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP ON OTHER SITES....that ice fishermen have been known to wear these modified boots into bait shops/convenience stores/restaurants/and all other kinds of business and inadvertently caused damage to all types of flooring....So just a kind word of caution... As for me, I tried this before (hex heads) and prefer good old ice grippers (Arctic Spurs) myself...But there are plenty that will like the (hex head) idea and my main intent was on watch where you wear them.....   
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I did the same thing with cold cutter screws you put into ATV tires.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Good info for icemen on a budget like me.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

tomb

• View Profile
That works great. I got tired of changing my boots to go into tackle shops. Went back to the Frabill rubber cleats.

Vexilar