Ice Fish Ohio Forum

crappie (or any fish) in a sack

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Here is one of my favorite ways to cook fish.  My wife found this for me on food network from Rachael Ray.  I've added some things over time to the original recipe.  I've had crappie, bluegill, walleye, perch, and flounder prepared this way and they all taste good.  Here goes.  This recipe is for one sack, as my wife doesn't eat fish.  However, you can make as many sacks as your oven or grill will allow.  I've never tried this with frozen fish.  I only keep enough for one meal when I go out.  This gives me an excuse to ice fish everyday in the winter!  You will need parchment paper.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Tear a piece of parchment paper large enough to completely wrap-up your fillet.

In the middle of the paper, place some onion slices and a chopped clove of garlic.

Next drizzle a little olive oil over the above ingredients.

Add your fillet on top of the garlic and onion.  You can season the fish to your preference before adding it to the sack.  I like peppper and a little old bay, then top it off with fresh parsley.  A little cilantro can be amazing as well.  Lemon or lime juice can be added now or later if you like.

Drizzle the fish with the olive oil as well.

You can add other things to the sack as well.  Like olives and fennel seeds.  Be creative with it, add what you like.  If anyone tries this and adds something that tastes good, let me know, I'd love to try it.

Next completely wrap up the sack and put it in the oven for 10-20 minutes.

Baking time depends on kind and size of fillets.  Check by opening the top of the sack and flaking with a fork.  If it's flaky, take out and enjoy with a side and beer!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar