Ice Fish Ohio Forum

filling my propane tanks

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well guys the snow is flying now is the time i start filling my propane tanks for my buddy heaters. . do this with plenty of ventilation because you do loose some when you remove the little tanks from the  mother tank. . my method is freeze the little tanks, turn the large tank upside down and keep it warmer, filling is a snap and only takes a minute...you save money buying in bulk and filling your own.. but please be careful you dont want to be a mad scientist with your hair smokin and your garage roof in the street. . .c  ya
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
I've been wanting to do that for a few years now. I just got a free tank and I have a box full of empties sitting around. Do you recommend a certain fitting? 
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've always thought there would be a way to do that.  Seemed like a waste to throw away the bottles.  I like that idea.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Oh boy here we go we will all be on the news at night blowing our faces off trying to save a buck.  What could possibly go wrong?
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That is if I'm motavated enough to do it.  ;D I can tend to be lazy at times with stuff like that.  I'll think it's easier to go buy a 2-pack for $6 at Wal-Mart rather than fool with it.  Whatever gets me back to fishing faster!! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
In order to fill the 1 lb tanks from a 20 lb tank, one must utilize and adaptor for doing so.  It can be purchased from Harbor Freight, Wallmart, Ace, Home Depot or Lowes.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Gander has them too.  Mr.Heater brand, hanging near the Buddy Heater stuff. Very nice to have and use. My 2 cents.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
if u follow the instructions on how to do it, safety shouldnt be an issue. well ventilated area and no open flames. snowcone gave the right instructions to get satisfactory results.
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I could never do it correctly until Snowcone told me how 2 seasons ago.They would never fill full and most I couldnt even get 1/2 full. Once I started following his instructions and putting the small tanks in the freezer overnight and making sure the 20 lb. tank was a room temp for a day or so I started getting good results. I think Snowcone should make a video on how to fill them and post it up so everyone can see how its done by a professional.  ;D
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
thanks for the kudos hwj . . .i just might , just for fun. . .

fryguy

• View Profile
I would like to caution everyone on refilling  propane. I do this my self and agree once you get your small tanks very cold have your big tank at room temp and fill for a  1 min. You will here the gas flowing. Here is my caution make sure the threads on the tank are clean and not rusted. I don't recommend using a wire brush on the threads either.  the bottle will have a leak at the threads if they have to much rust on them.

Minnowhead

• View Profile
I have found that if you use the Coleman brand cylinders you generally don't get too many issues.  Seems the leakers are more common in the ChinaMart cylinders. Probably because the safety overflow valve is boogered up with green paint etc. My 2 cents.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah good point guys those cheap tanks do cause more problems than Coleman tanks. and the threads must be clean and dry, . . . also remove the small tanks very quickly to minimize lose.....oh yeah because frost forms on the tank while in use i put a sock on the tank so i can Handel it easier. . .hahaha   i just filled tanks today ...

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
You can buy a fitting almost anywhere now for just under 20 bucks, the problem is sometimes you do not get the 1 pounders very full, it sweemsw like when your big tank gets low. I did see a you tube video last year where a guy pit together a valve and pipe so he could release the pressure on the small tank by pushing the pin in that equalizes the pressure and allows you to fill the small tank. I have yet to try it. I will tryt tgo find it again and post the link. BUT REMEMBER THIS IS AN OUTDOOR ACTIVITY AWAY FROM CHILDREN. Happy Holidays and God Bless Dave

Vexilar