Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Use of a Fishfinder, through the ice?

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
I got this info second hand, so...

In the winter of 2010, guy was on 11" of ice at a local reservoir and he was carrying a fishfinder (not sure if it was a flasher or a finder) as he walked around the reservoir. Ever so often he'd stop, squirt some water from a bottle on the ice surface and set the transducer in the water...on the ice. Apparently, his fishfinder was reading through the ice.

He was using this method to avoid both drilling holes and wasting time fishing in an unproductive area. This sounds like a great idea, but I've never heard of anyone else doing or trying this method.

Have you ever tried this method of locating fish?
Does this technique work?

Thank you, Bowhunter57
George Washington did not use his right to free speech to defeat the British...he shot them.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It will work if the ice is clear.  The milky ice with all the air bubbles will give you false readings.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i use my fish finder Thru the ice all the time, i carry a jug of water for the first check. and if the ice is slightly foggy give your drill a wind and fill it with water . water will soak thru and set transducer in for a good reading..then after i drill holes i re fill my jug for when i move...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile

jumpy

• View Profile
    • www.buckeyefishingcharters.com
Yes however...if you jig it they will come. You can draw fish in by fishing...at least on Erie. Good luck. I do believe will walk on water soon. 
If you jig it they will come!

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
On the inland lakes it helps to be  near the structure that the fish are relating to . Then jig it to draw them in.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
 ;D i tried jigging my fish finder transducer , but alas no luck  ::)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar