Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Chisel Recommendations

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
I have a home made ice chisel that's basically an old t-valve made of 1/2" solid steel rod and it has a sharpened point on it. It's about 4 1/2' long with an 8" t-handle and weighs about 3 lbs.

I've been considering welding an angled chisel tip, simular to the Frabil Ice Chisels. However, I'm not sure what the advantages would be or if I should stick with what I have.

Do you use an ice chisel?
 What are the different tip advantages? (straight edge, angled edge, sharp point)
 Any other suggestions or pointers?

Thank you, Bowhunter57
George Washington did not use his right to free speech to defeat the British...he shot them.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have the Frabill and like it.  I'll use it to clean the sharp edges up around my hole so ice doesn't cut my line.  It doesn't take much to cut a 1 pound line.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

floater99

• View Profile
I have one i got from MC sports abt 20.00,best 20 ever spent.Ive seen them at fin fur also.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Buy the heaviest one you can find.  Makes life much simplier
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
Quote from: futurestrader
Buy the heaviest one you can find. Makes life much simplier
I found a nice 17 lb. spud bar at Harbor Freight, for $24. I don't think I wanna carry a 17 lb. bar around all day. :P

Bowhunter57
George Washington did not use his right to free speech to defeat the British...he shot them.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I carry around a 38 pound gas auger so you got me beat by 21 pounds
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have an 18 pound spud.  I want something heavy enough to test the ice without me having to put a ton of force behind it.  Since  I work in construction, I'm used to the heavy spud.  It's not a big deal.  And my heavy gas auger  goes in my shanty base, so I carry nothing but the spud.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I'm such a bird brain I just realized I need to put the powerhead back on the auger.  Took it apart for storage and forgot to put it back together when I was loading the sled.  It never ends with ice fishing always something to do.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I took a  1 inch bar and welded a 4inch wide chisel on the bar  and welded a tee handle on the top. I use mine for a spud bar and don't leave home without it, I consider a spud bar more important gear then my vex. 

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
Quote from: futurestrader
I carry around a 38 pound gas auger so you got me beat by 21 pounds
futurestrader,
Your point is well taken, sir. Perhaps the effort on my part doesn't have as much labor involved vs. the safety necessary to stay on top of the ice. ;D

I'll be sure to get the spud bar that I seen at Harbor Freight, BEFORE going on to the ice...period. 8)

Bowhunter57

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I know Harbor Freight sells real high quality stuff.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
I know Harbor Freight sells real high quality stuff.
In whose book??? Thats a joke jim correct???
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I stopped in at Marks Bait and Tackle today and he has 2 different spuds that I remember seeing. 1 was the eskimo 2 piece and the other was the HT 1 piece. I think the HT was 22.00 and didnt see the price on the eskimo.  If your in his area stop by and check them out. You'd probably have that much in buying the steel to make one and then all the time to make it. I have a 2 piece spud that I picked up a few years back that has a flat edge instead of the angled head and it does great. I would like to try a angled head spud as I would think that it may be better suited for ice as the point may help puncture the ice a little better.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Vexilar