Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Dangerous Ice!

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I keep a 50ft. rope tied to a small boat float in a 50cal. ammo can in my sled. I also keep the rest of my safety gear (cleats, ice picks,matchs and such) when im off the ice to keep it all organized and in the same spot so I dont loose them. I like the ammo can because it keeps everything together and takes up little space in the sled.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I like that idea Hardwater, Need something to keep it all together.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Mr Chomp

• View Profile
Off Congress Lake Rd on Mogadore a guy must have fell through a few days ago. You can see the hole and the stick used to drag him out. Go with a buddy!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i dont have a float suit so i wear my life jacket when in doubt :P and :-X i have my spikes, and a long rope to my sled....the rope is tied to my jacket. 8) its my low budget butt saver system...hehe  ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

backagainbaha

• View Profile
One other thought-
When people aske me if the ice is safe- my standard response is there is good ice and bad ice - never trust good ice.

This usually scares them a bit, but this is my philosphy when venturing on a lake. I do not care how many people are on it, how thick it was last week when I was out, and even if there is vehicles on it- I will still drill test holes and spud my way out to my desired location. This way i create a "good path". I also where a Mustang Survival Suit, where spikes around my neck, have a rope and throw cushion.- and yes I have went thru before- luckily never bad.

Ice fishing can be fun and rewarding- but the ice has to be treated with respect and understand the situation that one can put themselves into.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
 i think im going to make spud bars for next year, seems like you guys are zooming them thru the ice... ;D 

seems like im making spud bars for next year  ;D  everyone is zooming them thru the ice....(including mine).... >:( 

the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Erie Tom

• View Profile
I  do  not  make  tracks  ,,,,,,,,,,,I follow tracks.  Do  this  only  after  ice is said  to be  six  or  more  thick.  No  fish  is worth   that  much

trapperjon

• View Profile
these are the same condition's that we had years back when my brother and me pulled two ol'boy's out of the water at CLR, Bad area's of ice covered with snow,  this was before cellphones luckily someone was home across the street and was able to call EMS.  best part is they survived,  I still have the boat cushion we used to pull them out with sitting on a shelf in the shed,

Vexilar