Ice Fish Ohio Forum

It's over, for me...

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
I'm reading too many stories of guys going through the ice and some losing their lives over a chance to ice fish. I'm not seeing any long (week to 10 days) range forecasts that are showing the temps staying below freezing to continue good ice growth.

I checked my gear and had it loaded in the truck, ready to go, but have taken it back out and put it in the garage. Around the Lima area, it's either open water or 2" of ice...at best. I am not trusting my life to anything less than 4" or 5" of ice. It's just not worth it!

Even in 2010, when there was good ice for a long period of time, once the temps got over 45 degrees the ice quickly melted and became unstable.

On the less windy days, I'm leaning toward getting my kayak back out and going fishing. 8)

Good luck to all and be extremely careful out there!
Bowhunter57
George Washington did not use his right to free speech to defeat the British...he shot them.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
It is still early yet,its only the first week of january there is still plenty of time to get in some safe time on the ice.we just have to be smart and allow the ice to set up before venturing out.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Seems like every year we get a "January thaw."  My Dad and I were talking about that yesterday.  Hope this is it and we'll be back in the deep freeze soon for our tournaments!!  No need to panic yet!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
False spring always happens in January . We have all been anxiously waiting and the ones who can't wait get wet . Good times are coming ,so hang in there .

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Im not giving up yet. I have yet to go as I have been thru the ice over 10 times in my life. 1 of those time i almost died when I was on the bottom of the lake and couldnt get out but God saved me that day. Thats a story for another day. I have done all the foolish things an ice fisherman can do thru the years. That is why I have gone in so many times. Now I have a wife and 2 young boys that rely on me to be here and I will not take a chance of going thru for a few fish. There is a chance every time you go of falling in even if the ice is 2 ft thick. I just refuse to fish on anything less then 4 inchs of good ice. When the ice is not so spotty I will go out. If that means missing another season then I will just wait until next year. Be safe out there and remember that no ice is safe ice.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Curtis937

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • CPR catfish
yea i thought i was going into today at reid...was drilling a whole and a huge crack started at my feet and ran out about 10'...horrible..the ice was melting under my feet....and all the ice i have been on is really cloudy and spotted not good ice....i can't imagine going in....but i always carry picks and a rope just in case....
CPRCatfish.com

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Your right. Seems like this has been a bad year but it is just dumb mistakes that put people in those situations. I have been the lone scout on 3 lakes already this year. Just takes some common sense and some help from the boys downstairs lol. I saw an article here that is worth a look!
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/weather/winter/January-thaw-to-be-followed-by-major-Arctic-plunge-in-northern-Ohio
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/InDepthOutdoorsTV
Maybe this will get you back in the spirit
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
OhioFisher19,
That is an interesting historic weather article and it could happen, but only time will tell. The big melt will be a good thing, as it will allow for a fresh start with the ice...clear hard ice. We can hope for a second chance. 8)

If not, I still have my kayak on stand by. ;D

Bowhunter57
George Washington did not use his right to free speech to defeat the British...he shot them.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
What do you wear kayaking in this kind of cold weather?

wis2ohio

• View Profile
[quote
If not, I still have my kayak on stand by. ;D

Bowhunter57[/color]
[/quote]

My yak is always on standby it was hurt when I didnt get it out much this year

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
Quote from: jmsteele187
What do you wear kayaking in this kind of cold weather?
jmsteele187,
The same insulated stuff that I wear when I'm in a treestand. I have a neoprene life jacket that adds to the warmth. I don't fish on windy days...no matter the weather.

This time of year, I tend to jig fish, much like ice fishing...due to the slower fish movement. Actually, I say that, but the fish certainly seem to be alive and well when they do hit.

Banker,
Thanks for the video. That certainly is a motivator and makes me want to make some travel plans for an out of state trip.

Bowhunter57

ADAD1640

• View Profile
CAUTION--WENT TO ATWOOD THIS AM AND ICE WAS CRACKING UNDER MY FEET ABOUT 30 YARDS OUT--DRILLED PILOT HOLE MAYBE 2.5 INCHES--I WAS 10 FEET FROM HOLE AND WHEN I BOUNCED UP AND DOWN ON MY HEELS WATER CAME OUT OF HOLE--NOT GOOD --BE CARFEUL

Vexilar