Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New room suggestions

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
Hey Dave thought these might interest readers.  How about a tip page.  And while at it I see alot of newbies that could use a techniques page.  I've quite a few to share but have to do it every year.  I would be nice if there was a place on the sight where myself and others can post our techniques so newbies can gather insight on what to expect before hand and how to approach it and actually have a chance catching fish their first time out. Just an idea.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That would be nice.  It would make it easier to access info.  I know the same technique questions have been asked more than once, but then get buried in general discussion.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I agree we always seem to be answering the same questions.  Make a page for rods, lures, equipment, and one for techniques and might as well throw one up for shelters.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
We are all guilty of not posting in the proper threads. I have seen people looking for partners not posting in the partners section, reports not in lake reports, equipment not for sale under classifieds and there are already several areas to sell things. How about when people join, just a quick welcome email and a brief explination of where and how to post on IFO. If not that a thread with the rules for posting?? What I would like to see is actually a reduction in the numbers of places to locate information, instead of diluting the site so much that people do not spend the time to look for it.n Is there a need for a Fin Weekend Forum for one weekend?? Unless they pay extra for it. Is there a need for snowmobile, gear and classified sections all separate. Why not Ice related classified, non ice related classified?? How many of us actually read an entire article on line once you open it?? Or do you just scan over super quick for what you need. I have found the search function on here lacking. I have looked for numerous topics and the search will just not find them.
I think just a few general forums would be better than creating more and spreading the info out further over more forums. As far as the tips and techniques, why not make a special "Ask the Pro Staff" section where only pro staff can reply or something like that. That way pro staff can become more involved than just lake reports
JMO and please no one take this as a negative comment, just trying to improve the site because I feel it's the best for ice fishing info.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:29:29 AM by erierider »
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
The more I think about it I have to bow down to erierider and say he is right about his offer.  Hate to admit the iron chef is right and won't bring me a hot dog on the ice but I think it would make the site quicker to use.  Look forward to another verbal fight on the site down the road.  I think everyone knows now we are friends but like to dig on each other.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I like a lot of erierider's ideas.  Well thought out, kudos!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
some good points , i have bounced on some other sites and they arent as friendly and information specific as this one. right now the ice is crummy so naturally there will be more friendly chatter .and if a newperson to ice fishing asked questions im sure we would all spill everything .   mmm lets see should i spit on my bait?  ;D   well now theres a subject we havent touched on   using scents ... ;)  i do use them    how about you??? :P
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
What I guess I'm really suggesting is one on only techniques. If not a foroum then a section that moderators can copy revelant information to.  When I post I try to explain one or more techniques but would like a section where it could be posted and stay a while.  Moderators should be able to delete repeats and a good base could be built up for newbies and seasoned vets alike.  Most of the new generation coming up tend to look at full articles and go online to research their interests.  Having it all on one website will be a draw to them and thats  where the future of our sport lies.  It's nice to hop around and see what new equipment is out there or how well the bite is at any lake but until you've learned the techniques needed to catch the fish you might as well drop a line in your toliet.  I see many members on this sight post techniques to help each other out and by having a place to keep them would benefit all.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed, and yes, I use scents.  I do think they help.  I will tip my lure with a power maggot sometimes.

Team Wilcraft!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Live bait is still my first choice though.

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
once i got this stuff in cabelos and it is a pheremone based trout attractant, i was in chicago when i picked it up and couldnt wait to get home , hit the ice and try it out... ;D  well....it worked  8)   but........it   smelled   sssooooooo    bad  that it would run you out   hahaha.... :P   now if i break it out my friends run ;)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I like Marks Idea and will implement a Pro's Corner. I will also add a small pond board.

We do have to be careful with all the boards but if everyone post in the right board than that should help someone find what they are interested in.

What is interesting to one might not be interesting to others.

I also will move this board to general discussion.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
Thanks David

deerslayern

• View Profile
U guys hit the nail on the head. at first it was lil hard to find what i was lookn for when i logged in now ur suggestions makes great sence. i think it would def. help all the newwbies out alot
When in doubt test it out.  No ice is safe ice. becareful out there.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

Minnowhead

• View Profile
How about a room for the Swedish Bikini Icefishing Team?  Every week would be a new girl showing us her tips?  ;D
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

Vexilar