Ice Fish Ohio Forum

no ice high water head below the dams.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
If you live anywhere near a flood control dam there is fishing opportunities all winter while waiting for ice to form.  A hand full of jigs twisters and minnows along with a few bladebaits will catch most fish.  If the fish is in the lake you can bet they are also below in the creek coming out of it.  Every year fish wash out of the lakes and during high water those fish go upstream taking advantage of bait being flushed out.  As soon as the water is turned down is the prime time to catch them.  Jig n twister or jig n minnow casted out and upstream and hopped back will usually be productive.  If your lucky enough to have a wall coming out so you can vetically fish then bladebaits and even spoons can become deadly.  Rip both bladebait and spoon up a foot or two then let it settle inches off bottom.  Don't forget the first bend or hole downstream where many of these fish go to rest.  I prefer hard water to soft but some days you take what you can get.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

deerslayern

• View Profile
I agree with the dam fishing opperatunity. I like Pleasant Hill Dam alot of nice saugeye have came from that watering hole.
When in doubt test it out.  No ice is safe ice. becareful out there.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Good point for sure! I'm sure you have spent some time below CJ! Believe it or not I have caught some big perch down there but not much else!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Same with Atwood, there are some nice saugeye and crappie in there too.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
They killed them at alum last weekend on the top of the dam with jerk baits.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
That would have been good info last week!  LOL
Good to know.  Chris said you got a few last month up there that were pretty nice.

Vexilar