Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Anyone have any homemade ice fishing stuff to share?

wis2ohio · 10 · 19755

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I have seen this on a few other sites and nothing here. I am looking for those homemade ice fishing products that anyone has made weather it's worked or not maybe we can help and get your broken item working and we need a way to pass time till we get some new ice.

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
One of things that I have done is turn a kitchen spoon into jigging spoons.  You can make a few jigging spoons out of 1 kitchen spoon. The handle can be cut down to 2-3 panfish spoons or 1-2 walleye spoons. The spoon minus the handle has a lot of good action as well. Soup spoons roll over faster  then a standerd spoon but sink slower. You can also cut the spoon part length wise to get 2 spoons for a different action. If you do that you will get around a 45 degree roll when you jig it up. The more the bend the more the roll. Almost every restaurant you go to has different shaped spoons so Im always on the look out for that next great fish catcher. With the handle sections just put a bend or 2 in it and it will do good. When I make my spoons I test the action in my fish tank before taking themon the ice. Just keep bending it until you like what you see. I use to test them in a wash tub but you cant see all the action from the top. With a fish tank you can see the main action from the side. I like to make a lot of my fishing gear. Last season I started building my own rods. I can make them perfectly suited for what I want them for. The thing I do the most is make my own lures. I still use a lot of store bought lures but I love making my own. From pin-mins to spoons to all different sort of jigs i enjoy doing it. I just came up with a few new jigs made from the blades I use to make crawler harnesses. I will try to get some pics of the different things Ive come up with later this evening when I get a chance.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Very nice. I bet it works just as good as any of the store bought ones and only a tiny fraction of the price. It is much more rewarding when you catch fish on things that you have made compared to just buying them. Good job
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It sure is.  I know when I catch crappie on my lure, the tin mouth torpedo, it feels good! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I always make a thermos of homemade instant hot chocolate and take along with me,or Really tales thé Edge off! ;D
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
my first homemade lure was a pop tab . i punched a hole in fat end with a nail and put on a hook and tied a line at other and was catching mackeral off the pier in virginia where i ran a sailing marina... 8)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Tried my autofisherman/gill slammer last weekend and it did great with the gills went off everytime a gill hit.

AtticaFish

• View Profile
    • JigCraft.com
I've made a 'auto' rod holder also.... but spent a lot more time than 20 mins. haha.  Too much thought before i ever put anything together.  It does work though.

Also put spring bobbers (sort of) on some of my rods using guitar strings, thread and nail polish.  Has held up solid for several years now.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
One of things that I have done is turn a kitchen spoon into jigging spoons.  You can make a few jigging spoons out of 1 kitchen spoon. The handle can be cut down to 2-3 panfish spoons or 1-2 walleye spoons. The spoon minus the handle has a lot of good action as well. Soup spoons roll over faster  then a standerd spoon but sink slower. You can also cut the spoon part length wise to get 2 spoons for a different action. If you do that you will get around a 45 degree roll when you jig it up. The more the bend the more the roll. Almost every restaurant you go to has different shaped spoons so Im always on the look out for that next great fish catcher. With the handle sections just put a bend or 2 in it and it will do good. When I make my spoons I test the action in my fish tank before taking themon the ice. Just keep bending it until you like what you see. I use to test them in a wash tub but you cant see all the action from the top. With a fish tank you can see the main action from the side. I like to make a lot of my fishing gear. Last season I started building my own rods. I can make them perfectly suited for what I want them for. The thing I do the most is make my own lures. I still use a lot of store bought lures but I love making my own. From pin-mins to spoons to all different sort of jigs i enjoy doing it. I just came up with a few new jigs made from the blades I use to make crawler harnesses. I will try to get some pics of the different things Ive come up with later this evening when I get a chance.
The first spoon recorded was a result of a guy acidently dropping a real spoon in the water and watching a huge fish inhale it...1850's
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Vexilar