Ice Fish Ohio Forum

So you want to start ice-fishing!!!

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
     Welcome to the wonderful, always exciting, sometimes expensive, never a day without learning world of ice fishing.  Throw most of what you know about soft water fishing out of your mind and save it for April.  Before you ever set foot on the ice be prepared.  Exciting can be dangerous if not prepared.  As one who has fallen though the ice and learned the hard way I hope you can learn by my mistakes.  The first thing you need to invest in are the proper clothes.  Thermal underwear is a must.  Not the old style cotton or wool ones your grandfather wore to work but the new The newer Poly underwear is lightweight and warm.  Over this wool or fleece the thinner the better as not to soak up too much water should the worst happen.  Over this an extreme outerwear such as Ice Armor Extreme suit to keep out the cold and the warm in.  Add a pair of sub zero boots and a ski mask and your on your way.  if you want to know how much actual weight you may have to pull out of the lake throw all the clothes in the washer let them soak ten minutes put them in a basket with your boots and pick it up.  You could be adding 30 lbs. before you know it.
     Next you'll need crampons for your boots so you won't slide all over the ice.  Get a set of ice picks to go around your neck in case you need to pull yourself out of the water.  Get a five gallon bucket and attach 50 foot of line to it and coil this in the bottom.  If someone goes through you can toss the bucket to them.  It never hurts to carry a whistle, cell phone in a zip=lock bag and remember to always bring a friend or fish in a pack of other anglers.  You should never be out by yourself.  There is a section on the website for safety and I highly recommend you check it out.
     Next you'll want a sled or shanty or both.  You don't want to make several trips onto the ice  so have something big enough to get all your gear into.  I like the flip over style shanty such as Clam makes.  I have a one man and two man.  These allow you to close yourself in when the weather is bad or flip the front up to block a wind and allow you to converse with other anglers.    If you have a shanty you'll want a small propane heater for those single digit days.        
     Next you want a spud bar and a ice auger.  The spud bar is good for checking ice.  If you slam it down and cracks abound it's not a good thing.  Ice augers come in manual, gas and electric.  Manuals come in two styles, mora and lazer.  Both drill holes but the lazer if easier and pricier but worth it.  If money is no option than an electric is the way to go in my opinion.  Quiet is a good thing.
     The next investment should be a flasher.  Yes you can catch fish without one but why would you?  I don't go on the ice without my Vexilar.  By watching my electronics I can see fish come in and know if they look and run, look and hit the bait or if I can tease them into biting.  I know how deep the area is and I know if fish are on bottom or ten feet off bottom and can adjust my fishing to that.  With a flasher you can see the smallest baits you use on the screen.  My Vexilar makes fishing fun and informative.  
     In Ohio you can use 2 rods and 6 tip-ups.  Don't use your long rods that are sitting in the garage.  You should have rods in the 20-30" range.  I do keep a 38" rod for walking around and hole hopping a technique of going from hole to hole fishing them a minute at a time to get circulation back in my legs from sitting down all day.  Start with a pair of tip-ups some days they can save a trip.  
     For tackle a selection of micro jigs and spoons for panfish.  Jigging raps, jigging shadraps, spoons up to four inches, bladebaits and rattletrap style baits ar a good start.  Also a selection of hooks and don't forget minnows, spikes, wax worms or wigglers to add for bait.
And most important of all surf this website for tips, spots and techniques to help you get started.  Don't be afraid to ask questions here and on the ice.  There are more people willing to help you out than you realize.  And please pack out what you pack in.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:42:07 PM by davidhoheisel »
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Thats a very good article. Thanks for sharing it with us. It will definitely help out out people looking to get into our great sport.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Amen, thanks for your post, spot on!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I would like to add that if you have the money look to buy tungsten lures they are heavier and get down in a hurry.  http://spookyspiders.bravehost.com/ sells some for $1.00 each or look to Skandia Lures those are the best for panfish.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Good points,always nice to review safety especially since our last two seasons have been hazardous at best,there is no safe Ice and sometimes excitement out rules rationale judgment.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
Thanks for poasting this. evey one nees to rea this. might just save your life, or someones. Thanks again.

g

• View Profile
Nice post saugeyemarc. I would suggest packing a towel and an extra set of clothes if you are unfortunate and join the polar bear club. I know from experience. Sweat pants work better for me than regular pants, easier to put on when you are cold and warm me up quicker.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
LOL I can't even count how many times I have been out there and forgot towels or paper towels.  There I sit with wet hands.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Vexilar